Damage Control

|Zach's POV|

When you're at the top, shit happens that knocks you back to reality. I proposed to the love of my life, had an amazing season and my team won the Super Bowl. Instead of getting back to the grind, I decided to relish in the moment instead. One bad night could easily leave an imprint on my career and future that I don't need. I have another year left in my contract with the Chiefs before I hit free agency. Yeah, I'm a great player, a team player. Still, none of that matters. You can get traded at any time. That's just business.

After getting off the phone with my dad, I called Kylie. She and her sister Kenzie were on vacation in Tulum for her sister's birthday. It was around 7am now.

Hello.

From the sound of her voice, I could tell I woke her up.

Hey, babe.

Hey. What time is it?

About 7am. Sorry to wake you.

It's okay. What's going on?

I wanted you to hear it from me before the press got wind of it.

Hear what, Zach?

I got arrested last night and charged with a DUI.

You what?!

Kylie...

Zachary! Are you fucking kidding me right now? A DUI?! Who were you with? I swear if you say...

Babe, calm down and listen to me please. I told you the guys were coming in town and we were going to hang out.

I know and I told you how dumb of an idea that was. Don't tell me to calm down either. You know how you get when they're around you.

Kylie...

What made you think it was a good idea to drive home drunk, Zachary?

I wasn't expecting to get drunk.

Yeah, but you did! You got drunk and then got behind the wheel of your car instead of calling an Uber. You could've killed yourself or someone else.

I was just driving down the street.

And that makes it better? You know what, I don't even want to talk to you right now. It's a good thing I'm out of town because... Go call your agent and lawyer, Zachary.

Babe...

We'll talk later. Goodbye.

She hung up on me. Can't say I'm surprised. I tried calling her back, but it went straight to voicemail. I had to give her space to calm down.

Next up was my agent and lawyer. That conversation was pretty lengthy which wasn't unexpected.  They said they'd handle discussions with the team and NFL and until my presence was needed, keep a low profile. My publicist released a statement as I became a headline on TMZ. Right now there wasn't much else for me to do.

I sent a mass text to my uncles letting them know what happened. I also texted my moms. Ma called me as soon as the text went through. Damn it.

Hello.

Zachary Paul Levesque...

Ma, before you flip out.

It's too late for that. What the hell were you thinking?

I wasn't. I know, I fucked up ma. If I could change things, I would.

Watch your mouth, Zachary. You're right about one thing, you can't go back and change anything. Did you call Kylie? What about your agent and lawyer?