1. Video call

- June 4th, Friday, Los Angeles -

"Well, fuck you too! I'm keeping the pothos plant!" she slammed the apartment door as hard as she could, cutting off the male's shouting from the inside, pulling the large black suitcase to her side. Remembering something, she opened the door again to shout one last insult: "And go get tested for STDs, you freak!"

Jia closed the door a bit more violently than the previous time, pushing up the big sunglasses on her face. She still wore her party outfit from last night - black ripped jeans, thin strap silver sequin top, but on her feet, she wore a pair of Converse shoes since she threw her heels at the man inside that apartment. She had a terrible hangover, and catching her boyfriend cheating only added more to the throbbing migraine.

Jia had a blast last night at her friend's birthday party with alcohol helping her forget all the stupid fights she had with her boyfriend these days. And him telling her to go alone to the party "'cause he's tired" was one more red flag she purposely wanted to ignore... just like the hundred and one before. And both those red alerts and too much alcohol made her suspicious which resulted in Jia coming earlier than planned to see some unknown blonde in her sexy lingerie (a birthday present from her boyfriend), giving a blowjob to her so-called boyfriend at the dining table. Great choice of breakfast, girl! The sight made her sick more than the alcohol mixture in her stomach and there was only one way to go from there: gather all your stuff, along with the plant you bought to "enhance" the already dull apartment, and get out of there!

"Fuck him!" Jia cursed, almost punching the chrome elevator button and breaking her fingernail. She sipped on the hot coffee that she previously bought in the hope to reduce her headache and, while the coffee mixed with alcohol and leftover pizza in her stomach, that bitter taste and a large dose of caffeine couldn't help with the anger she felt.

'Exactly what was I thinking when I decided to move in after only knowing him for a week? You're one stupid bitch, Jia!'

Blaming herself for the outcome was a habit that would only make her angrier.

The elevator finally reached the first floor and Jia had a short amount of time, measured in distance between the elevator and the building exit, to think of where to spend the night. All of her friends were in a seriously worse state than she was - dead drunk, nauseous, and hungover from last night - so none of them was a good idea... until one name popped into her mind! Good ol' Jane, the only sober girl in her friend group aka "the Mom friend".

Jia took the phone and started scrolling through her contacts until her action was interrupted by an incoming call from the other side of the world. Jia rolled her eyes as slowly as possible due to a brutal headache.

"Hello mamma!" she put on the sweetest tone in Korean that she could manage, despite how she was feeling.

"Oh, Jia, my daughter! Can you hear me?!" her mom, a middle-aged woman still not used to technology and the internet, always shouted over the phone "because of their distance".

"Yes, Ma, I can hear you. What's up?" Jia asked, pushing the heavy entrance door with her hip, holding the phone in one and coffee with her plant in another hand.

"Jia-ah!"

"Yes, Ma! I can hear you!" she shouted, mixing in some English, matching the volume of her voice with her mother's. The punch of her headache told her that shouting was a bad idea.

"Jia! When are you coming home?! Did you forget Jin-ae's wedding?! It's this Sunday!" her mother still shouted and the volume of her voice hurt Jia's throbbing head, as well as her eardrum.

"No, mom, I didn't forget it; we talked two days ago about it and you texted me a reminder yesterday. Don't worry, I'm boarding the plane... tonight," Jia lied - she didn't have a booked flight for that night so she really hoped there were some tickets for South Korea left. She wanted to fly tomorrow but, again, didn't even reserve a ticket...