15. Smoke and tears

A/N: They speak in English in this chapter

- June 23rd (after midnight), Wednesday, Miami -

Unlocking the room with a card key, Jia pulled the door open and closed it with the same force. She kicked the black stilettos off her feet, not caring where they'll land, threw her purse on the bed, and grabbed the TV remote right after.

Turning on the TV, Jia connected her phone via Bluetooth to it, opened her music app, and let the TV be the only light in the room, besides the led lights under the bed. She pressed play and threw the phone on the bed, somewhere in the pillows.

She wanted something loud, something that will match her anger level, and since her phone was full of their music, Jia's first song was Stray Kids' "Side Effects". A perfect one, she thought. And just like in the song, her head hurt and she wanted to scream as the side effects of getting tangled up with Bang Chan included everything she felt at the moment: nervousness, nausea, agitation, anxiety, headache, and... heartbreak.

"What the hell were you thinking, bitch? That he'll be loyal to you? After only knowing you, for what...? Ten days?! You stupid fuck!" Jia cursed at herself aloud, rummaging in the hidden pocket of her suitcase.

Taking the item she needed, Jia advanced to the balcony and plopped down in the comfortable chair with white cushions. She pushed the button on the small stick in her hand and turned to look at the town's night lights. Not even the night breeze from the ocean and beautiful scenery could calm the screams in her head, but Hyunjin's and Changbin's rap in the song's second half did. She sang along, messing up the lyrics at some parts, took the cushion behind her back, and screamed into it hard as she heard Chan's voice in the song. She angrily threw the cushion on the opposite chair and moved the stick in her hand to her lips.

The loud song ended just when Jia took the first long breath from her vape pen, getting all that relaxing nicotine air into her lungs. The raspberry flavor of the liquid in the pen gave a special kick to her receptors. She held her breath as the next song played and, recognizing it, Jia let out a cloud of vaporized nicotine. In the whole rush and anger, she didn't select just the SKZ playlist so all the songs she had were on shuffle. She even forgot that she had this one on her phone...

The song that was playing was "22hrs" by Teflon Sega, another one to describe Jia's state perfectly - she used nicotine to calm herself down in stressful situations, just like in the past, whenever she got upset or into a fight with her boyfriend(s). She pulled in another smoke, held it in for a few moments, and let it out, already feeling the calming effect.

"Ain't no prescription for the pain, I fade away..." she muttered the lyrics, closing her eyes and pushing a smile, with her head falling back on the chair. Jia put her bare feet on the small table in front of her, getting swayed by the music and the nicotine.

"These drugs are temporary. This shit don't scare me," Jia followed along with the lyrics, letting out a content chuckle before taking in another long breath of the vape.

That vape was as far as she got with "drugs" as the thought of her stuffing white powder in her nose or stabbing herself with a needle sickened her. She was offered marijuana back in college but the smell of burnt grass was always disgusting to her so she avoided those kinds of gatherings.

The slow beat of the song as well as the lyrics, combined with her lightheadedness, made Jia let out her bottled anger in form of tears. She cried more as the song closed to the end, the nicotine making her emotional for the first time. Her body relaxed and she cried, the images of Chan kissing and groping the unknown blonde girl flashing in her mind.

Jia closed her eyes shut and pushed her fingers through her hair, holding her head, keeping the tears in, and wondering if she made the mistake of dyeing her hair black. Maybe Chan likes blondes more, she thought.