2. Wedding

- June 5th, Saturday, Seoul -

After almost 14 hours of a grueling plane ride, Jia finally arrived in South Korea's capital. Incheon International Airport was crowded, that mixture of voices and footsteps adding to Jia's dull headache. She thanked Jane for the painkillers but the jet lag was lingering near, ready to overtake Jia's body. The girl squinted her eyes behind the sunglasses, searching for her father in the crowd of families who waited for their loved ones. She finally saw a middle-aged man with glasses who was calling out to her, his plaid shirt giving him away from the others. The two met in a warm hug.

"Oh, Jia, my daughter..." the dad sighed, hugging her close, "I see you dyed your hair blonde again..." he added, breaking the hug.

"Hi dad, it's good to see you again," Jia said in English, ignoring her dad's last statement.

Kim Jia was born and raised in the US, but understood her parents' lack of affection - it was the Asian thing. Her parents, Korean immigrants who searched for a better life, went back to Korea for her dad's work when she had to start high school. Yet, Jia decided to go back and "attend college" in the US, taking a bit of time for herself (to have fun and party), completely neglecting school. When she dropped out of college (and got a loud scolding, mostly by her mother, via video call) she decided to find a job and stay in Los Angeles, up until now.

"How are your college friends?" dad asked in Korean, pulling Jia's suitcase on their way to the exit.

"Oh, they're good," Jia answered in Korean too, reminded that she was in a different country, "They all promised to come here for your Korean bbq."

Her dad laughed proudly, guiding the girl to their small car. On their way home, her father warned Jia that her mom is already preparing for her cousin's wedding tomorrow, so Jia knew that the overall atmosphere in the house is tense and hectic, with her mom shouting every few minutes. Her mother was always like that before important events: birthdays, weddings, traveling, and even funerals.

As the car approached the driveway, Jia's mom was already on the porch, hanging freshly washed clothes to dry.

"Oh, Kim Jia! Come here! I need you to hang this dress on the wire to dry! It's too high for me!" the mom shouted, pulling the heavy pink dress (that she wanted to wear at the wedding) from the pile of wet clothes. Jia got her father's height, being a head taller than her mother, but hated that fact at times...

"Good to see you too, mom," Jia muttered to herself, closing the car door, "Why didn't you take it to a dry cleaner?" she asked, climbing the porch and taking the dress from her mother.

"What are you saying?!" mom snapped at Jia who also struggled to hang the heavy wet dress, "Dry cleaning is so expensive! Why pay for it when I can wash it myself?!"

Not wanting to argue any further, Jia nodded her head while her mom continued bashing about the prices in the supermarket, in the hair salon, and in every other shop that she had visited. Her stories bounced off Jia's head as the jet lag finally caught up to her.

...

- June 6th, Sunday, Seoul -

"Alright, you look good," the woman said, fixing her husband's tie, then turning to Jia, "Sit straight and fix your hair!" she nearly yelled at her daughter, still mad at Jia because she didn't catch the bride's wedding bouquet.

Her cousin had a western-style wedding so Jia and her family sat on the bride's left side, both in the church and at the venue. Slow music played as the guests slowly arrived at the site decorated in flowers and ribbons. Jia looked around, greeting her relatives, and noticed that a lot of beautiful people were on the groom's side (he's a former k-pop idol so it's only natural). It became crowded fast and everyone was asked to be seated as the newlyweds will arrive shortly. A few minutes after all chairs were occupied, the volume of the music from the speakers lowered and the announcer asked for everyone to stand up. At the entrance, a beautiful couple stood hand in hand, smiling and waving to their guests as they walked towards their table in the center.