16

Quinn

You cannot be controlled by someone unless you allow them to. It's a basic thing everyone knows. I guess, I still have problems understanding it. Kai was letting me on top of him. But, it was all mindfucking. He was the one in control, I wasn't.

''I think I messed up'' Mila sits down on my bed with her chocolate ice cream. Elsie is complicated. We've known each other for more than five years and I still don't totally understand her. She has her secrets, that's for sure. We all do. I wonder how we managed to stay true to each other while we don't know a lot about our lives. Well, Addy knows most of mine. I know most of hers. We were always closer.

Mila barely shares her life except about what happens in college or at a party. I don't know where she goes when she tells us she's going to be back soon in the middle of the night.
Elsie has had it hard. That is all I know and that's as far as I will go. When she drinks, she loves to talk. She slips sometimes and that is how I know some things. Things Mila and Addy don't know. They won't hear it from me.

''You did not mess up. She's just... confused'' Addy kisses Mila's cheek. It makes her feel immediately better. Mila has always been shy and covered in her books. It's the first time she's who she really is after Fire's night. It was our last and it wasn't our best. But, our personalities are finally taking over. I don't know why we hid them for so long.

''Do you think he's playing her?'' Mila asks, taking my blankets and wrapping herself in them. I take the remote and open the TV. I am not answering that.

Addy glances at me and I shake my head.

''Guys?'' Mila sounds like she's on the verge of crying. Despite everything Elsie has been through, the universe is not done with her. That is frankly obvious. I hate to say this but it is entirely her fault, also. You can judge me. Can you blame me? If someone steals your money and you steal it back, does that make you a thief? Answers will vary according to everyone. Elsie takes things and enjoys them as she does. A lot has been stolen from her. The difference is, she hasn't tried to take them back.

''Well, look what happened not even an hour ago'' Addy strokes Mila's hair. I scroll through all the movies on Netflix until I settle for one, I know, Mila will love. I think it's boring but watching her while she is so concentrated is truly absorbing. We are best friends and I love her. But, I won't lie and say that I am not the tiniest bit attracted to her.

''If Will wasn't playing her, he would have stayed when Damon pulled him away'' Mila jerks under the bedsheets and throws her bra somewhere in my room. As I see her red lace bra, my cheeks reddened. I look away and start the movie.

''Have you seen that kiss? The way he touched her?'' Mila grabs my elbow to get me to talk. I gulp as I stare at her eyes and shrug. Yes, it was very passionate. Maybe, I don't know. I didn't see. I was too concerned about the way Kai's hands fit perfectly on my hips. I can still feel his lips on my collarbone. And that thing, the stupid thing he whispered. It still gives me goosebumps.

''I don't know Mills, I am not sure I want to know either'' Addy closes my window before settling back in my head, Mila's head in her lap. I can't help but feel a little bit jealous.

''Are we watching pride and prejudice?'' My grin gets the best of me. I nod and as I do, my phone dings.

I put it on silent. Fuck it.