20

Damon

I am not sympathetic. It's a common fact. Everyone that knows me, knows this. There's a reason why I told the guys to leave the girls on fire alone. Of course, I am insulted they took our title. But this is exactly why I didn't want it to go further than this.

Will is getting attached to Elsie. Kai wants Quinn and Michael wants Mila. I want Adelaide. Well, I want, need, chose the word, suit yourself.

We have some unfinished business. I intend to get them done. She has to get it into her head. We are meant to be. Get fucking used to it. The fact she thought since I went to prison her parents would spare her from this. She is a fool. All of them are.

''What do you want?'' Elsie asks. Will is in business right now. The others are somewhere where I don't give a fuck. But I have psychology. Just like Elsie.

I wonder if she noticed me two weeks ago. When I first walked into the class. I doubt it but now she has and it's all that matters.

''Nothing, just walk'' I guide her with my hand on her lower back. At first, she flinches. It confirms what I already knew.

When we walk in, everyone turns around. And I am not looking forward to the next few minutes. It's always the same. We start class with a topic then the professor gives us an essay we have to hand in for the next class. We don't learn a lot. Well, not today anyway.

''Why are you sitting next to me?'' Elsie tries to stand up and find another place but when she looks around, she realizes, everyone is watching us. She's shy and very mysterious. She does what she wants but she does it quietly. I guess things have changed. And it is very obvious she doesn't want them to change.

The teacher comes in and rambles about stuff I don't care about. Elsie runs her hand through her hair, unsteadily. She stiffens in her seat. I am not sympathetic. Yet, I still grab her hand.

I can see Elsie's head turning slowly towards me and keep my gaze ahead of us. I bite the inside of my cheeks. She's still staring at me.

Her reaction earlier was pathetic. I don't think she controlled it though. She needs to learn something. Will won't teach her and her friends won't as well. I am not taking it upon myself. Well, maybe I sort of am. I just need her to stop seeing herself as the victim. She isn't a victim. None of us are.

''Who in here has read Lolita?'' I close my eyes. I have a sort of Déja Vu. We had the same conversation with our teacher back in high school. And I am going to say the same thing I said back then.

Very few people raise their hands but enough for the teacher to start the subject. I don't like this professor, I might just drop out of college. Well, I think all of us will. We don't actually need it.

I don't listen to what the others are saying. I need to say this, for me, for Elsie. Back in high school, no one cared about what I said. Now, somehow, I think I can make a difference. A difference for Elsie. Who am I fucking kidding?

''Abuse can feel like love'' I say out loud. Everyone turns to us and I tighten my grip on Elsie's hand. She is staring deeply at her feet.

''Um, interesting. Why do you say that?'' No one is watching us anymore, it's always the same. I don't know why I even speak up.