32

Kai

Time flies by.

I taught her this. Yet, it doesn't feel like she remembers it. Maybe she's acting like the rest of them. Maybe she isn't. But she's here, with me. That's all that matters.

She doesn't push me away when I grab her hand, nor when I kiss her cheek. I think I even see her blush. My little Reyes, little trouble. She hasn't changed at all.

Quinn is a mystery I probably won't figure out. I thought I had back then, but I didn't.
The thing she has forgotten and she fears is that I've got time. She does as well and she's afraid of what my next move is going to be.

We've got all the time in the world. I don't care how I will handle her but she has to admit it. My little trouble is pretty fucking sick. That's one thing I won't forget and remind her it every day of her life. It's not like she doesn't deserve it.

As we walk through the halls to get to the infirmary, I shiver. There's something I bet they all feel. A kind of hole. A deep black hole filled with dangerous thoughts. Thoughts we all share.
It's like we are moving together. Like we understand each other without even talking. And it hits me.

L'appel du vide.

It calls us, it needs us.

No matter what the girls on fire think, they will be on our side.

With Mila's hacking, we could put everyone who wants to harm us down. With Elsie's pride in being in control and playing with men, it would be easy to knock them out once she would be done. With Adelaide's strength and flirtiness, she could sneak everything in and out of everywhere we want to go. With Quinn's records of stealing, she would take whatever she wants, whenever we want.

And with their ability to lie.

We would be invincible.

''Oh my god, I can't believe it'' Adelaide sobs. Quinn glances at me before walking faster, almost walking on Mila's shoes.

I love to see this side of her.

The territorial side where she can't hide the fact she would do anything for her friends.

The girls must be very confused about why Adelaide let Damon take her. They know each other and there's something else about these two... You know what? I am not quite sure it's going to happen anyway.

''Love, calm down'' Damon says as we enter the room. She's laying down on a table with one of the nurses checking her hand. She didn't break it, luckily. But I doubt she will be able to play volleyball for a very long time.

Quinn tries to let go of my hand but I do not give her a chance to. I follow her to the bed and notice the way Mila is clenching to Michael. We all know what she's trying to do. It doesn't seem fair. Despite what she believes, she is attracted to Michael. They will become the greatest nemesis. But not the best ones. That belongs to me and Quinn.

''It's going to be fine'' Quinn reassures Adelaide. She's annoyed because I won't let her grasp her friend's hand instead of mine. That reminds me...

''I lost it'' Adelaide says through teary eyes.

''What do you mean?'' Elsie speaks up. She's holding Will's hand so tight, that I know she's hurting him. Perhaps this has to do with what she saw earlier, who she saw. We all see it. Her fingers are trembling and Will picks up on it because he shields her with his body. From what? We all know and we are going to take care of it. We are going to take care of her.

''The recruiters, they won't want me anymore'' I see her chest rising and that's when I make eye contact with her.

She doesn't want her friends to see her this way, especially not Quinn.