38

Michael

A spy is easy to spot. I thought she would have seen me by now. Or at least, felt that someone was following her. I don't like this. It's way too easy to follow her. Is she that careless?

I found something really disturbing about Elsie. I told the guys but I can't tell Mila about it. Not anyone, for that matter.

I told Elsie and she just was... shocked. There's no other way to explain it. If someone had told me that, I would have freaked.

Maybe I should have waited but I couldn't. I am still trying to figure out how it's possible. I have to confront my father about it. I just want her to agree first.

''If it isn't the little slut'' my eyes widen and I hide behind a wall.

Mila is in a dark alley, leading to the poor side of Meridian City.

''Hi, mother'' Mila's voice is different. I never saw her out of control or afraid. Right now, she sounds like a lost puppy searching for her mom. That's what she's doing.

Why?

''What you got?'' Her mother spits and I peek in their direction.

Mila is backing away.

What the fuck?

''I just-''

''You just what?''

My jaw hangs open as her mother's hand whip Mila across the cheek.

I want to go help her but, I remain in my spot.
This isn't my battle.

I am not her savior. She has to fight, I know she can.

She fights me all the time, does she not?

''Where's my money?'' Mila has tears rushing down her cheeks as she shakes her head.

Another strike comes and she falls to the floor.

Why isn't she fighting back? What is she doing?

Get up.

Get up, Mila.

''You're just like your father. Useless. You'll end up nowhere'' her mother kicks her in the ribs and Mila doesn't let out a sound.

From here, I can see them more clearly.

Her mother has the same dark hair as her. However, her eyes are brown. Mila's are paler than the ocean. I guess she gets them from her father. Her father, who I know, is in jail. Maybe it was a bad idea to dig into their pasts. I would have wanted Mila to tell me but, would she? No.
At least, not now.

They don't look the same at all. The only similarity is their hair. Even Mila is taller than her.

''If you come back, I want my money'' her mother kicks her once again and she walks away.

Mila stares after her, clenching her stomach.

Why didn't she fight back? She just let it happen. Why? This isn't the Mila I know.