36

Will

Life is full of surprises. Well, you know what? Fuck that. Life is full of shit. I knew he abused his sister, Emory. That's why I beat the shit out of him. But Elsie? He fucking raped her. And not only him but his friends did as well. If Damon hadn't called my name, I think I would have killed Martin.

That son of a bitch is the reason I went to prison. And he's the fucking reason Elsie is scared for life.

I once wondered what was going on in her head. I can't be sure now but I feel like she's always second-guessing everything. It's not just about the way she acts, but, it's what she says, what she thinks, and what she does. If I was thinking that much, I'd probably have panic attacks. And Elsie has those. I won't lie, I am worried about her.

Michael, Kai, Mila, and Quinn helped me put her to bed yesterday. She was so exhausted, the fact that she saw these sick bastards didn't help. Maybe it was a mistake to come into her life. She's so miserable all the time. Is it because of me?

I don't know and I am not sure I want to either.

Damon and Adelaide never came to help us and we can state the obvious. They had sex. We didn't hear them but Damon's headboard slapping against the wall was enough for us to figure it out.

Mila and Quinn were tired so instead of going back to their apartment, they stayed here. Michael with Mila and Quinn with Kai.

Alex was here at some point but I barely remember that.

What matters is Elsie.

I took her shirt off so she could breathe better. I had no idea she had no bra underneath so I made sure the blankets were covering all of her.

In the middle of the night, she grabbed my arm and cuddled up against me. It did a strange little thing in my stomach and my heart fluttered. Seconds after, her head was buried on my chest and her skin was pressed against mine. We were tangled with each other.

This morning is different.

I've been waiting for her to wake up and she hasn't. I keep checking her pulse to make sure she doesn't die. I am not stupid, I know she won't. You can't blame me for being scared.

Elsie is lying on my chest and the blanket is wrapped around her waist. Her breasts are out and is it a crime that I am admiring them?

Even if she has these scars, it doesn't make her less attractive or beautiful. She's so strong, it feels impossible.

The scar that intrigues me the most is the one on her sternum. It's like someone tried to rip open her chest and I just know, it could have killed her.

My fingers linger on it until I feel her shift. I bring the blanket closer to her chest, covering her boobs. She is probably going to freak out and she'll panic if she thinks we have done something.
Which, is likely to happen.

Elsie stiffens as she moans and sighs against my chest. She moves a little before hugging me tighter. I can't hide the smile that spreads across my face. She's like a little ray of sun. She's my little ray of sun and I'll make sure that she gets back her energy. It's draining her.

I don't care if she uses me to do it. I want her to use me to do it. If that's what she needs to be whole again, she could fucking kill me and I wouldn't even be mad. I'd do anything for her.

''Will?'' Her voice is as low as a whisper yet, so powerful.

Her beautiful long brown hair is spread all over my chest and it follows her as she tries to sit up.

''Easy there,'' I kiss the side of her head and she doesn't flinch. I expected her to but, she doesn't. That's a good start, isn't it?

''Um- what- what happened?'' she clears her throat before glancing at me. She's clenching my bedsheets and before I know it, she straddles me.

Her chest is still covered and she tries her best to give me a weak smile.

''You passed out'' I put a strand of her hair behind her ear. Her eyes are so beautiful, I am mesmerized by them. I lose myself as she looks up at me like this.

''Did I?'' she takes in her surroundings before staring back at me. She slightly touches my cheek and I do my best not to wince.

''Did-''

''Baby, it's okay'' I reassure her. Through teary eyes, she glances at our fingers, which I didn't even realize were linked. Without a word, she drops the blanket while she keeps her eyes on mine. Her head tilts down a little bit and I bring it up after pressing a quick kiss to her lips.

''You don't have to explain anything to me'' I try to cover her again but she stops me.

''But- I want to'' it takes me by surprise but I do not dare to move. I desperately want to know what happened. I just don't want her to feel forced to tell me.

''I learned two things that night'' a tear falls from her eyes and I press my lips together. I want nothing more than to wipe it away and kiss her all over the face but she is gathering her courage to tell me her story. A story, I believe, I am the first one to hear.

''One, I was never going to smile at any guy again'' it breaks my heart a little. She smiles all the time for me. Do I make her happy? Or am I terrifying her?

''And two?''

''If the world was only going to see me as a victim, there was no point in fighting back. You stop screaming and you let it happen'' Her watery eyes meet mine and I have no idea what I am supposed to do.

The only thing I come up with is bringing her to my chest so I can hold her and she can cry on my shoulder.

You let it happen?

What does that mean?

Did she stop fighting back?

Did she stop fighting them back?

''I try not to think about it but, it's hard. It's a memory I can't escape because it's written on my very skin'' she sniffles but she doesn't sob or break as I thought she would. She's letting me in and I won't let her down.

''I don't want to talk about it please- please t-''

''Hey, it's okay. Come here'' I cup her cheeks and wipe the tears that had fallen from her eyes. She truly is magnificent, even when she cries. Probably a stupid thought.

''I'll protect you''

''Really?''

''Always''