Chapter 27: Battle Royale

***Ajax POV***

The three men were actually quite strong, compared to some of the other cadets at least. Pickle had picked a Pyro Delusion, Jack had chosen an Anemo Delusion and Azure picked up a hydro vision.

We all sat down to find out our opponents for the competition. It was basically like a battle royale. The winner moves on to the next round. There were originally 60 of us, but 28 had dropped out/given up or were injured after the previous sessions. So that left 32 in total.

In order to be able to "pass", we needed to come in the top 25%, so basically, come in the top 8 and make it to round three. The instructor also informs us that the person who takes first place in our group along with the other group winners would have the privilege of meeting with one of the fatui harbingers. That incentive helped to motivate people once they got to round three otherwise, people would see little point in fighting.

The instructor leads us outside to show us the current board. Based on our training, the instructor had put stronger opponents apart to give the weaker cadets a chance to get through the first round.

 Based on our training, the instructor had put stronger opponents apart to give the weaker cadets a chance to get through the first round

The battle would end when your enemy was unable to battle. This could mean they surrendered or were unable to stand up for longer than 15 seconds. All battles in round 1 and round 2 would occur today, with the following ones occurring tomorrow.

Anyone who does not manage to get in the top 25% would have time to reapply for the next training batch if they have been unsuccessful at the previous sessions or if they wanted to re-enter and gain a better scoring in the battle tournament.

So the battles began. The first round was barely worth mentioning; I struggled to understand how some of the cadets managed to pass the survival mountain situation. Luckily multiple nurses were there to attend to the injured. They were very good at their job and helped to heal everyone after each battle. The fatui definitely had a lot of good resources at its disposal. I cannot imagine this training was cheap to run.

I sat down, eating the packed lunch we had been provided with Y/N

I sat down, eating the packed lunch we had been provided with Y/N. I had picked a meat and cheese sandwich, but she picked a jam sandwich. "Meat is more nutritious for you. Surely it would be more beneficial to pick meat?" I question her choices.