Chapter 50: The Polar Star

***Ajax's POV ***

I remember the night vividly: it was the night of our training just before we "officially" became harbingers. Y/N was away and seemed very busy in her training, and I was given my primary weapon. I had been fighting several harbingers with many different types of weapons. But I noticed each harbinger seemed to specialise in a specific type.

I'd like to think of myself as a man of many talents (Passive talent 1: Master of Weaponry), always taking the opportunity to learn new things. I was able to use many different weapons and frequently liked to switch. My ability lacked most in the bow, as whilst in the Abyss, I had not trained much with this or used it after. I do not know whether it was due to the lack of training or my ability to be accurate.

A while ago, I remember that the Rooster had asked me what weapon I would like to "Main". I thought about my response a lot. It was obvious Y/N would pick a sword. With similar abilities, I would want something different to enable us to achieve more together.

Together we did struggle to make ranged attacks. So ideally, it would be logical to choose either a Bow or Catalyst. But it wouldn't make sense to choose a catalyst since I would be unable to cause any physical damage; plus, I prefer to be a bit more involved in a battle. Also, creating water blades regardless of the weapon meant I had reasonable control over my Hydro abilities already, so I had mastered a Catalyst long ago. So for my goal of continuous improvement, I eventually answered the bow.

Back to the night where I received my new bow, specially created for my needs.

After a long day of training, I opened the door and saw a Fatui member delivering a parcel for me. When he handed it over, I swear I saw the glowing parcel gold, just like a shooting star would when falling out of the sky.

I carried the parcel to the table and unwrapped it. What I saw before me was this beautiful bow with a note attached.

"The Polar Star,

A pristine bow that is as sharp as the glaciers as the far north,

From yours truly,

The Rooster"

Putting the note aside, I looked over at the bow. 

The first time I touched this magnificent weapon, I heard it speak to me

The first time I touched this magnificent weapon, I heard it speak to me. Reminding me of all my past experiences:

"I was once a wounded wolf, betrayed by the whole world,"

The cold night I was forced into the darkest depths of the Abyss flashed into my mind, those wolves cold and fierce, chilling the child me to the very bone, even more so than the icy winds. My mind then switched to the wolf, which once trusted no one. But after understanding one another, we gained mutual respect.

"But we shall create a new world, one in which no one shall ever be forsaken."

We had escaped the Abyss, Y/N and I and swore to protect the world so no one else would come to any harm, even defeat Celestia if that is what it meant.