Chapter fourty seven✨

•••••Whatever it takes•••••

     Gwen walked into the kitchen only to meet Mel preparing breakfast. She smiled warmly and greeted, "good morning."

"Good--" Mel paused, eyeing her button-down pink dress and black gladiator sandals. Gwen's eyes followed hers. "Are you going somewhere?" She asked suspiciously and sipped her coffee, patiently waiting for a reply.

"Am going to work." Gwen answered smoothly and reached for her own cup of coffee on the counter but Mel grabbed her wrist skillfully. "Oouch!" Gwen winced and pulled away.

"Are you crazy?"

"What do you mean?" Gwen asked, touching her wrist gently.

"Not too long you got back from the hospital and now you want to go to work? Why do you always do as you please Gwen? Don't you ever think of me?" Mel whined hurtfully.

     Gwen sighed drastically at her expression and her shoulders sank. "It's not like that. Like you said, Handsome absconded from the hospital and I can't be all alone in the house. For a fact I know-- you're going to work--"

"I was planning on taking off today--"

"See?....." Mel was a bit confused. "You don't have to do that for me. I'll tell you what Mel..... I love the fact that you always stick up for me but at some point I'll have to take on challenges by myself, because they're my problems, and I can't run away forever. Am not that courageous you know...... Am scared. Very scared that Handsome will come for me one day...... And this time it might not just be me. Your life might be in danger too......."

    Mel opened her mouth to say something--

"So just let me do this on my own," she concluded with a note of finality.

    Mel quietly watched her walk out the door in awe.
                               🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹
     Marco was walking in the hallway laggardly with his hands deep in his pocket. He looked around his environment cautiously and puffed his cheek out. How did he find himself in a hospital where sick people were around? Well his feelings left him with no choice because as it was, getting advice from a friend could really help solving a problem. Especially a friend who was a medical doctor. Marco stopped in his tracks as he saw Khalil coming out of a ward.

   Khalil who was not aware of Marco's presence was muttering to himself as he pulled off his gloves and nose mask and tossed it directly into the trash bin close by. He made to pass but came face to face with his long lost best friend. A gladdened smile thickened his lips and it gradually turned into laughter. Laughter of joy.

    Marco joined in comfortably as his Adam's apple moved in rythm and his eyes dimmed, gracefully depicting his happiness.

"Man!!!!" Khalil exclaimed and pulled him into a heartwarming embrace. Marco gave in and they won't stop laughing.

    After a while, they landed in a bar. Their usual hangout place.

"I can't remember the last time we saw each other," Khalil uttered and Marco felt sorry.

"I know ..... Guess I just had alot on my table. Starting with my mum showing up in our lives again and Gwen being shot by Handsome....."

"Hold up!" Khalil interrupted abruptly. "I have no idea what you're saying."

"I know right?......" Marco narrated the whole story to him. "So you see? I failed. With my family... With the woman that I like?.... Fuck it!-- I love her!" He said sadly and gulped down a glass in one pigswill.