Chapter fifty three✨

•••••Maybe love conquers•••••

    Marco walked into his room laggardly and stretched. What a long day!

     After freshening up, he wiggled into his sweatpant and tank top and went out of his room.

   Strolling carefreely to nowhere in particular as the cool breeze penetrated his body, he assumed everyone in the mansion would've slept but stopped in his tracks when he sighted Gwen sitting at the edge of the pool with her legs wiggling inside the water. She seemed to be thinking about something as he drew nearer to stare at her face but there was no expression whatsoever.

    She turned and he got a full glimpse of her beautiful face. A rare smile curved his lips, and his dimples appeared effortlessly. He tugged his pants all the way to his calves and sat beside her.

   Gwen's gaze did not leave his face as she took in his dominant aura. She smiled too and reached behind her head to bundle her lengthy hair in a ponytail.

"What are you doing here all by yourself?" He asked as he adjusted closer to cover the tiny space between them.

   Gwen did not mind as she relaxed with her hands on her legs. "Now I see why you're always here. It render peace and quiet." She remarked instead.

   Marco tilted his head like he was trying to look at her from a different angle. His eyes roamed her side view and darted to her ebony hair.

   She turned and met his gaze. Marco saw a glint of tear forming in her left eye. "I don't want to be a liability Marco," she blinked away the unwanted tears and shifted her gaze back to the water to hide her hurt from his hypnotic eyes, "I'd never thought one day I'll have to live like this...... Maybe I should be blaming myself or not is what I find hard to decide."

   Marco wanted to understand her, his eyes boring into her sideview as she struggled to keep a straight face.

"I don't know if it'll be of any importance to tell you but Zara Packard visited where she worked today...."

"Am sure Gwen can handle it. Thank you for telling me.".

    .... Marco recalled his conversation with Senegal earlier and just hinted that Zara must have said something to make Gwen feel the way she was feeling right now but he decided to act oblivious. "Did you meet anyone interesting today?" He asked afterwards while staring at the water.

   She nodded and glanced at him, "Zara," was all she said and looked away.

   Marco turned to stare at her surprisingly. He had never thought she would spill so easily. He smiled. He felt pleased at the fact that she hadn't taken whatever Zara told her so seriously. For her to loosen up to him only meant one thing; she trusted him.

    Gwen caught him offguard, "why are you smiling?" She queried, eyeing him meaningfully.

   Marco straightened his face and jerked his head at her. "You're loosing your respect these days! Don't think I can't punish you because am fond of you and don't dare take it for granted," he scolded and smacked the side of her head lightly.

   She burst out in an hysteric laughter. "What kind of a boss will that make you?"

"A cheeky boss!" He replied amidst laughter and abruptly splashed water on her face.

   Gwen screamed and flinched as the cold liquid came in contact with her face. Her hands went up to shield her face but it was useless. She retaliated and tried to escape from him but Marco quickly enveloped her small frame in his arms and dipped one free hand into the now wobbling water, splashing it on her face again. She shrieked and struggled. He let her go but she did not get up again.