Chapter fifty two✨

•••••All just for a short while•••••

    Thea sighed tardily as she walked into her mum's apartment and turned on the lights. To her surprise, the house had changed a bit since the last time she visited. The sitting room now had flashy cushions to beautify it and a flat screened tv stayed glued to the wall in front, the kitchen was just ten steps away with a huge counter to separate it from the sitting room. Her eyes darted to find a wooden door by the left which probably led to a room. The apartment was cozy but petty.

   Her shoulders drooped as she clutched her handbag, walking over to one of the sofas in the parlour. She sat down carefully and crossed her legs, tossing her hand bag on the other side with a humph!

    After a while, she came out of the kitchen with a bowl of crackers in her hands and sank into one of the cushions, fixing her eyes on the television.

   Her phone started ringing, grasping her attention away from the soap opera she looked very much interested in. She glanced at it on the chair beside her.

"Marco? Why are you calling by this time? Is everything okay?" She said over the phone.

    He sighed drastically. "Am only checking up. You haven't been home in two days and I wondered if you were at the hospital but I went there with Gwen."

"Right. I've been at the company all day. There's a new project, and I don't think I'll be coming home anytime soon because for the upteenth time am staying at mum's apartment. You should find what to tell Allie so she doesn't get upset."

"Am sorry for letting you overwork yourself. I should go to the office from now on. Why don't you focus on mum right now?" He suggested and she breathed ruefully in return.

"What about Gwen? Am sure she's not safe. She needs you to protect her."

     The line went quiet for a while before he broke the silence. "I have it under control. Just take care of yourself."

   Her phone tutted.
                            🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹
   After he hung up, Marco titled his head to stare at sleeping Gwen on the passenger seat. He studied her face for a while and squinted his eyes as so many thoughts crossed his mind. Did he really have it under control? For all he knows Handsome would stop at nothing. He reflexly lifted his right hand and tucked a strand of braid behind her ear, caressing her face softly. He gradually leaned in and planted a kiss on her forehead, causing her to wiggle gently as she breathed deep and leaned deeper into the seat to gain more comfort.

    Marco pulled away and smiled calmly. She must be very tired.
                           ▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️
   Gwen shrugged her right shoulder in discomfort and scrunched her face lightly as Marco put her down on the soft mattress. He paused and studied her quietly but the pained expression he thought he saw earlier had already worn out and he sighed, sitting on the edge of the bed, close to her.

    Scrutinizing her face, he noticed her head was not resting comfortably on the pillow and he attempted to adjust her but she winced groggily and jerked her right shoulder as his large hand came in contact with her slender shoulder. Marco's eyes darted to where his hand was and travelled up to observe her face as he added a little pressure on her arm.

   Yet again, Gwen moaned out a soft cry and hissed in pain, burying the side of her face into the pillow. He removed his hand slowly and looked down at it before balling it into a fist. Being a bit more careful, he gently turned her to lie on her left side so he could attend to her injury.

    First, he needed to change her clothes for they were too uncomfortable to sleep in.
                            ▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️
    Gwen made the sign of the cross as her eyes flung open to see the sun shining brightly. She growled lazily and stretched, sitting up. She made to stand up but paused...... And looked down at herself with wide eyes. She raked her hair vigorously and shut her eyes tightly.