Chapter fifty five✨

•••••Game of chess•••••

   Gwen made a low guttural sound with the base of her throat as she lifted herself from the bed, walking out of the room.

"Hi," she said calmly as she lingered in the kitchen's doorway, staring at her friend. "You're still here....."

"Yea. You arrived a while ago with Jake but you were asleep so I din want to disturb you." Mel looked at her, "so how was the business trip you went on with sir Marco?"

    Gwen smiled wryly in response and swung her legs closer to stand in front of Mel.

"What? It didn't go well?" Mel asked and sighed disappointedly like she already knew the answer, "I was hoping you'd have alot of gist for me when you get back."

"I don't want to talk about it."

     Mel narrowed her eyes at her, "am guessing you've seen the rumor online."

  Gwen nodded slowly and exhaled, "I don't know what to believe Mel. I don't even know how to explain what I feel right now."

"I think you should trust sir Marco," Mel advised, placing a hand on Gwen's shoulder.

"You don't understand...... Anyways, I see you're ready to go home now--" she shrieked in the process-- "how much I miss home and my comfy bedroom. Wish I could just go with you."

"Well you can't because I won't allow it and it doesn't mean I do not miss you. I do, but it's for the best!"

"Sure, just call me when you get home." Gwen quickly pecked both sides of Mel's cheeks and smiled.
                             ▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️
"Thank you so much Jake," Mel said gratefully, coming out of the car. She jammed the door close and waved at the chauffeur who smiled in response before zooming off.

   Her shoulders dropped in relief as she walked into the building, clutching her handbag to her stomach.

     Meanwhile, Handsome watched her through the windscreen before she disappeared into the apartment. He smirked maliciously and strained his neck to look up at the window as the light came on.
                              ▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️
    A loud knock was heard at the door and Mel sprang up in a sitting position, holding her phone.

"Who's that?" She asked loudly but heard no reply. "I'll be so pissed to find out it's our next door neighbour who doesn't mind her business!" She soliloquized and got up, going out of her room. "Who's there?!" She asked again.

   Yet again, no response.

    She got fed up and yanked the door open. "I said who is it?!"

   The guy wearing a face cap smiled politely and waved briefly at her face.

"Uhm....." She stared at him narrowly from his well sculptured face to his converse. "Do I know you?"

"Not really," he answered, still smiling.

"Owwwwkay! So how can I help you?" She asked again.

"Am looking for a woman that goes by the name, Mel, and I was directed here."

   She examined his face as he talked and discovered there was something strange about his aura. He had this kind of expressionless mask on his face. He would just look without any facial description. "Am Mel. Besides, you look awfully familiar. Have we met before?"

"My name is Handsome."

    Mel's thick orbs periodically widened at the mention of his name and felt her body stiffen from shock. The lines in her neck sticking out as she held her breath.