Chapter 3

Dayan and his buddies had helped set everything up on the practice site in front of the school. Almost all the inhabitants had gathered there – curious what would happen. Then they all felt a strong aura. A high-ranking demon of their country entered the square with his entourage. Everyone fell silent and looked amazed.

What did a commander of the ruling Lord of Hell have to do in a nest like this? He took a seat prepared for him and remained silent.

"Hell, Latíz, he has come! Are you ready?" one of the helpers shouted.

"Yes, two more minutes," he said, combing his hair into the position he had thought of one last time. He took a deep breath. At last. All on one card.

"It's all going to be fine," said the reassuring voice of his best friend.

"Always together," he said to Dayan, holding out his fist.

"Always together," Dayan said and struck.

Latíz took another breath and then walked behind the stage. "I'll take this chance!" Then he climbed the stairs and presented himself to the crowd. A loud murmur went through the crowd. Latíz looked beautiful. He had put on a traditional dress of the singers of his tribe.

He wore light blue trousers with a silver ornate pattern, over which several colorful sheets of fabric about two fingers wide joined together to form a large structure and covered his upper body but left his arms free. Golden chains and bracelets ran along them and a golden brooch was stuck on the left side of his hair, which represented a butterfly.

Latíz saw his mother slapping her hands in front of her mouth and tears of joy rising into her eyes. He sat down on a stool in the most elegant pose possible. Dayan sat down on a pillow in the back left and took a cherche – a string instrument that had been a long tradition – in his lap. This consisted of a plum-shaped hollow body with a long stem and four strings.

He smiled again to his best friend. Their time had finally come. Then Dayan stepped in. The sounds of the Cherche filled the place, which was enhanced by Dayan's magic. Latíz let his magic soar and he formed an invisible net across the square. He once took a deep breath and opened his mouth.

A heartbreaking melody emerged from it. The sounds wandered across the web of magic and his clear, bright voice sounded. It was as if he was sitting next to each of the hundreds of spectators.

Many closed their eyes and allowed the melody to take them. Every note that left his mouth struck a note in the hearts of the audience. All the worries, all the doubts that had built up in each individual, broke out and released them from these negative feelings.

Many burst into tears, others sobbed. When the last note faded, Latíz stood up and Dayan began the second piece. This spoke of hope, joy and love. And that's exactly what opened everyone's hearts. Laughter and joy appeared on their faces. They were liberated. Latíz sang with all his heart and put every emotion into it.

Dayan's fingers were on autopilot. They played the piece, which he had played thousands of times, by themselves, while he stared spellbound at his best friend. His heart opened, as did that of others. It was a unique moment in which he felt connected to everyone. And the one who was able to accomplish this was none other than this beautiful demon with the voice of an angel.

Latíz felt free, as if he had gotten rid of all shackles for the first time. He felt the emotions coming from within him and put everything in his voice. I want to reach everyone. I want to touch everyone. I want more!

When the last note faded, silence set in. Latíz bowed and the crowd stood up and cheered. He waved to his best friend, who stood up and stepped next to him. Their special guest also rose, then it became quiet. He walked up to the stage and the crowd split, no one dared to stand in his way. Then he stepped on stage and stood in front of the two.