Chapter 9

The moment Lyric stormed away, thousands of voices had suddenly entered his head. Numerous threads of fate showed him the fate of the demons present, which had been oppressed until now. What had just happened? Why had they come upon him so suddenly? Why had they been just a dull sound in the back of my mind?

Nix held his head and tried to breathe, but indescribable pain shot through his head. Must... get... out. But his body didn't move. He had collapsed in front of the chair and lay there. Numerous hands touched him and made it much worse.

Warm arms closed around him and the voices became quieter. He felt himself being lifted up. His heartbeat slowly calmed down and he was able to breathe again. Placidity returned step by step in his head and a sigh escaped him. Eventually he snuggled up to the stranger, grateful that he had freed him from this torment. Then, Nix was carried away, not knowing where he was going, as he wasn't able to open his eyes. The warmth that embraced him made him drift away. He didn't want to fight it, he welcomed it with open arms.

Lyric carried the sleeping oracle out of the room to the reception area. After he paid for the jewel bracelet, he put it in his pocket and left the auction house with Nix in his arms.

When he had returned to the reception room earlier, Nix was laying on the floor with a pain-distorted face, twitching every time someone touched him. He had lifted him up and carried him away from the mob.

What happened? What caused his collapse? Lyric had known that Nix was hiding something from him, but now it was time to speak plainly. He couldn't protect him if he didn't know what could knock him out.

When the oracle woke up, he would answer these questions, otherwise the journey would end here. Lyric sighed. They took the same room as the day before. He put his companion on the bed and took off his cape and clothes except for his underwear.

The shadows on his skin swirled restlessly up and down. He carefully touched Nix' bare chest and the shadows warped. What does that mean? The oracle was a mystery to him. Silently, Lyric covered him up and waited.

When Nix opened his eyes, he looked into a grim face. He moaned and rubbed his head. What had happened? How did he get here? The last thing he remembered was that Lyric had stormed out of the room. After that, everything was gone. He pinched his eyes and thought hard. A few warm arms that had driven away the voices suddenly came to his mind.

"How did I get here?" he asked the rune demon.

"When I came back, you were lying catatonic on the ground. You were unresponsive. I carried you here," he replied in a bad mood.

So this pair of arms belonged to Lyric. He has silenced the voices.

Lyric saw the smile on the oracle's face and couldn't understand what there was to laugh about. "Oracle, attention please," he said, snapping in front of Nix' face. He finally looked at him. "Your action was more than dangerous. Direct physical contact is risky and you forced me to return to the room of those intoxicated demons and carry you close to me all the way back here."

Nix tilted his head. Understandable. He had seen that the demons close Lyric were intoxicated. It was fascinating. He saw Lyric's face darken.

"Oracle, what happened to you? No excuses, no silence. You're telling me the truth now without leaving anything out, or I'm out of here."

Nix didn't like that at all. He issued an ultimatum? Discouraged, he bit his lip. If he told Lyric everything, he would reveal one of the Nix' greatest secrets and make himself vulnerable. If he didn't, he would leave, he had no doubt about that. He now knew that Lyric was somehow suppressing the voices in his head, without him he wouldn't be able to carry out his plan.