Chapter 42

For five days, the two lay in bed and recovered from their injuries. It took longer because the poison of the shadow animals delayed healing. Dayan brought them food and medicine. The two ate, drank, and slept a lot.

Lyric loved having Nix in his arms and enjoyed every second. In the last few days, they had gone over everything again – the current status, the prophecy and where the mirror might be. Even if the disappointment that the mirror had been a fake in Lucifer's empire was still simmering, they had to keep going.

Unfortunately, neither Astaroth, Zack, nor Belial had any trace. If they didn't find something soon, they would have to turn to other hell lords, which they actually wanted to avoid. All the while, Lyric felt like he had forgotten something.

Nix resumed his duties as an oracle, while Lyric decided to clean his weapons. Whenever he had time to think, he lined up his jewelry neatly and polished it until it shined. He sat down in the meeting room on the comfortable couch and placed the gun bag on the right side of the table. He opened it and began to take out the weapons one by one and place them in front of him.

First came his Karambit knives, then the two daggers, throwing knives, a Khukuri and a small ax that an old acquaintance had given him. He took his Karambit and began to polish it lovingly. What is it that keeps me busy all the time? He rubbed his strained forehead. What did I miss? What have I forgotten?

Frustrated, he hit the table so that the gun bag slipped over the edge and fell to the floor. When he hit the ground, a clanging sound sounded. Lyric frowned. What was that? I have already taken out all the weapons. He picked up the bag and put his hand in it. He scanned the ground but found nothing.

He then opened the side pocket, which was supposed to be empty. He put his hand in it and came across something cold. He closed his fingers around it and carefully pulled it out. A mirror came to light and the memory shot into his head.

Lyric continued to look through the numerous showcases with jewelry. Then he heard a soft whisper. He turned around and looked in the direction from which it had come. Step by step, he followed the sound and stopped in front of a shelf with mirrors. A small mirror, slightly larger than his hand with blue glass, caught his eye. Something about him was strange. Carefully he drove over the simple wooden frame and the glass. It was a bit uneven and yet it attracted him.

The rune demon gasped. Of course! It was the mirror he had bought in Kordial. He didn't know why he had bought it at the time, something had attracted him. Something he couldn't name. He drove over the blue glass and hissed in surprise. Blood was dripping from his thumb. Had he cut himself on the mirror? But where?

He scanned the glass again and found the spot. Carefully, he turned the mirror so that he could see the edge from the side, which stood out about a thumb width away from the frame. Strange. Why is there an edge there? It's as if the mirror is divided there. A secret hiding place?!

Excitement spread throughout him. He grabbed one of the small throwing knives and put the tip on the edge, then he performed a lever movement. With a crash, the edge broke open and a circular object detached from the blue glass surface. Lyric turned the wrong mirror around and shook it, so that the object that was hidden in it fell out of it into his hand.

Carefully he stroked the object with his thumb. It was a hand-sized mirror with a silver frame and at the edge was a large indigo-colored gemstone – an indigo. That's it! Lyric couldn't believe it.

"Nix!" he shouted, as loud as he could, unable to move.

After a few minutes, the door opened and Nix and Dayan entered. Confused, they looked at Lyric, who sat frozen in front of them. "Lyric, did you call me?" asked Nix. He could have sworn that he had heard Lyric's voice calling for him, but wasn't sure.