Chapter 44

When Nix woke up, a nasty pain shot through his head. He pinched his eyes and rubbed his forehead with his index finger and thumb. "What the hell happened?" he murmured.

After the headache subsided somewhat, he began to become aware of his surroundings. In front of him he saw a bare gray wall. When he looked around, he saw three more, an iron door to his left. There was nothing here – nothing but the bed he was lying on.

Where am I? Panic rose in him. What the hell happened? He grabbed his hair and tried to remember what had happened. I was at the meeting, Zack had a trace. No. Zack had no trace. It was... An image of Lyric's pain-distorted face at the end of the room shot him in the head and he groaned.

Why did he look at me like that? Lyric's last words echoed in his head. Then everything was black. He had no memory of what had happened then. Damn, what happened after those words?

"Remember," he shouted and hit his skull.

"I'm sorry, Nix," sounded the voice of his beloved, which was full of pain. Why do you say such a thing? Then he felt a touch on his arm. The last thing he saw was Lyrics pain-distorted face before the voices exploded in his head.

Nix opened his eyes and gasped in panic. Someone had touched him and put him out of action. His own friends had incapacitated him.

"I found the place," Lyric said, raising his arm, dangling a plain metal hoop, and looking at Dayan. Nix didn't know what was going on, why did everyone look so depressed? Wasn't that a reason to rejoice?

He breathed frantically in and out. They knew about it. They knew what was going to happen. Then the one who touched me has to... No. That is not possible. He would never do that. My best friend would never betray me and use my weakness against me. But no matter how many times he went through it, the only person who had been out of his field of vision had been his best friend.

"Dayan," he murmured deafly to himself.

Tears ran down his face, for the pain of betrayal sat deep and burned into his soul. "But why?" he sobbed. Then the realization hit him like a torrent of cold water. Lyric has to create the key. At that very moment, his sweetheart was in the process of creating the key to empathy.

They want to keep me away from him. But why? Why can't I be by his side?

Frustrated, he cried out and threw off his blanket. A rustle tore him out of his thoughts. Carefully he stood up and looked to the ground. There was an envelope there. Carefully he picked it up and turned it over. On the back was written in curved letters For Kəpək.

His hands began to tremble, so he carefully sat down and wrapped the blanket around him. He opened the letter and took out a piece of parchment. Lyric's unmistakable scent rose, so he knew that this letter came from his beloved. He carefully opened the piece of paper and read the words written on it.

My dearly Kəpək,

If you read these lines, I will not be with you. But one thing I know, you are safe. Please don't blame the others, I forced them to do this. They had no choice.

The most important thing is that nothing happens to you because you are our future. I have to create the key on my own because I don't know what's going to happen.

I forbade Aleksander to come to my aid or to save me if something happens to me. It was my decision and I bear the consequences. Should something happen to me, I ask you to continue living – for me.

I know it's not fair, but I'll wait for you. We were destined to be together from the beginning, but fate is cruel.

There's something else I haven't been able to tell you yet.