Chapter 19

As long as they waited for the letter, they could theoretically have looked at the city. But as already mentioned, foreigners weren't really welcome here. So that wasn't an option if they didn't want to attract unwanted attention. So they walked through the house and looked at the washroom. After freshening up, they went back to their room.

"And what do we do now until we get the answer?" Nix asked, rolling on his back on the bed. He looked at him with glowing eyes. "I know something," he added in a deep voice.

"I'm not going to sleep with you in the house of a succubus, that would be unfair to Lila."

But they could not summon a portal either, because that would mark their whereabouts like a beacon. No one was allowed to enter or leave the city without the knowledge of the border guards. If they did, they would be hunted.

"Let's go to the roof and look at the terrace," the rune demon suggested.

Nix nodded and crawled out of bed. Together they left the room and walked up the spiral staircase to the roof. They pushed the flap upwards and walked through it.

A jungle of flowers and shrubs awaited them. The terrace was surrounded by a green, living privacy screen made of bamboo, elephant grass, trees of life and hornbeams. A climbing hydrangea covered the scaffolding and an evergreen and climbing jasmine competed with it for the best place in the sun.

The floor of the platform was laid out with long wooden floorboards, into which flower pots of different sizes had been embedded here and there. Vegetable and fruit plants grew from these tubs and bore juicy fruits. Insects flew through the green and hummed happily. It was a true paradise in the middle of a big city.

In the center stood a table with four chairs, on whose legs the climbing jasmine had also settled. On the left side was a small pile of pillows where you could lie down and enjoy the greenery. But even though it was alive and wild, each plant was perfectly pruned and in its place. Here was clearly an order to be seen, which the succubus had incorporated with a lot of love and time.

Lila was just toppling a plant that was already bearing small blue fruits. She wiped her forehead with the back of her work gloves and swept up the earth that had spread around the pot. She poured them onto a small compost heap in a corner of the roof terrace. When she noticed the guests, she received them with a smile. "Welcome to paradise," she said with a smile.

Lyric briefly tilted his head respectfully, which surprised the succubus. "It is an honor to be able to enter your paradise. It's really incredible, you can feel your inexhaustible love for plants."

Lila laughed. She had never received such a compliment before. For others, she was the crazy plant chick and was looked at crookedly, because she lived in a wild jungle. But she loved her little house idolatrously, it belonged to her alone.

Nix smiled and said, "You've invested an incredible amount of time, it's an impressive achievement. It really is balm for the soul. Can we stay here for a while?"

"Go ahead, you can also nibble on the shrubs, only these two," Lila pointed out, "because they have to grow roots first. I will now prepare the food." Then she went down the spiral staircase and left her two guests alone in her paradise.

Lyric went to the sitting area and made himself comfortable on the pillows. He lay on his back and closed his eyes. The sound of the insects, the smell of green and the light breeze of the wind made him come to rest. Suddenly he felt a touch on his chest. Nix had snuggled up to him and put his head on his chest. The little devil always catches me unprepared.

Whenever Nix was with Lyric, there was a glorious silence. Even Lila's threads of fate had been just a whisper. He enjoyed this silence on the demon's chest, which he also gave. Even if it was only for a short time, he enjoyed the peace.