After the rain [TW]

Tw: death

The banging on Simone and Nate's door woke her up. Simone reached for her phone seeing the time and squinted her eyes from the brightness. She got up reaching for her lamp still hearing the banging on her door. She didn't know how Nate could sleep while this was happening. Simone slipped on her robe, grumbling profanities under her breath.

"I'm coming , I'm coming." She opened the door revealing her aunt and Keisha.

"You should check your phone." Amara demanded as calmly as possible wiping her face.

"Auntie, what's wrong...?" She suddenly got nervous looking between the sad faces of the two ladies.

"Simone..." she couldn't do it. She couldn't be the one to tell her.

"Maybe you should sit down." Keisha offered to guide her best friend back to her bed.

Her phone buzzed again seeing her mom's photo appear.

"Mommy, what's going on?" She answered.

The news wasn't what she expected. It was the last thing she expected as she hung up in disbelief packing a bag. Simone checked for flights taking the first one available in a few hours. She dismissed her aunt and best friend sitting in complete darkness until her alarm went off. She couldn't wrap her head around what happened. No matter how much her mother's words replayed in her head, it was like Simone went completely numb.

Landing at LAX, the Uber drive was silent as she was driven to her hotel room. The missed calls collected as she wanted to hear from no one. She didn't think this would be happening so soon. Simone scrolled through their text messages wishing it wasn't true. Their last exchange was an "I love you" and that broke her the most.

She felt like she hadn't slept as she got directions. She couldn't go to the destination acting like she was good. This had to be a alternate reality - a fucking nightmare. She sat in silence as everybody paid their respects and her mother held her hand. Simone zoned out in the last 24 hours nodding at the condolences.

From a distance, she saw him by himself. It felt like her heart was breaking all over again. She didn't remember blinking but now he was in front of her pulling her out of her zombie thoughts. The moment she looked up into his eyes, she crashed into his arms sobbing.

"I am so sorry." He held her head whispering.

There was nothing Jordan could say. He tried calling , he tried texting but he knew he was probably the last person she wanted to hear from. He showed up because he respected the relationship he had with her father. He never expected that the reason he would run back into his ex would be at her father's funeral.

"I'm here. I got you." He rubbed small circles against her back.

Her grip on his suit jacket tightened. From a distance, Layla watched as Jordan planted kisses on Simone's head. The rocking he did stopped when he leaned against a tree watching Simone bury her face in his neck. It made her stomach drop. She heard foot steps seeing Olivia stand next to her.

"He's never going to love me like that, Is he?" Layla looked at Liv.

"Now is not the time Layla." Liv didn't want to be stuck in middle between her brother , her best friend and whom used to be her best friend.

"Can you just answer the question." Layla snapped.

"We are twins, we don't share a mind. To be honest with you, no. I don't think he will ever love you like that. She changed him for the better and right now being jealous of someone who lost their parent should be the least of your worries." Liv stormed off to find Spencer.