Lunch and A Gift

A Week Later

    "Done," Tony says. I look up from my sudoku puzzle as he places his last file in the box on the corner of his desk. I glance across at Ziva who looks at Tony as well before returning back to typing at her computer. McGee isn't here, otherwise I would have looked at him and just smiled. I look back down to my puzzle as a brief silence ensues.

    "Well, now that's done, how about some lunch?"

    I glance again to Ziva who is returning one to me.

    "Are you offering?" Ziva asks as she looks to Tony. He smiles and looks between the two of us.

    "For about two more minutes."

    Ziva shakes her head and declines, leaving me as the only one to accept or decline. Tony looks over at me seriously and I look down at my puzzle, I need eight more numbers. Filling in the squares I place the pen down and look back up at him.

    "Sure," I say. He nods and pulls open his desk drawer to grab something and slips it in his pocket before closing the drawer and getting up.

    "Let's go before Gibbs shows up."

    I laugh and stand up grabbing my sunglasses.

    "So, Rita's ok?" Tony asks as we drive out of the garage.

    I look over at Tony surprised that he would remember my favorite restaurant, but then realize why wouldn't he since I've been gone for so many years.

    "That'd be great." I smile. He nods and drives towards the cafe.

    "Why doesn't it shock me that you own this car?" I ask as I look at him. He smiles.

    "Well, if it did, it would be shocking. Positively shocking," he says in his Bond voice. I laugh.

    About fifteen minutes later of relatively silent driving, Tony parks his car at the cafe.

    "You're paying right?" I ask once we are seated and the waiter leaves us with our menus.

    "Yes."

    He smiles, looking up from his menu.

    "Are you two ready to order?" The waiter returns almost suddenly and Tony looks up at him.

    "Yes, I'll take the Turkey Club and she'll be having the Mushroom Swiss Burger with your bleu cheese dip on the side."

    I look at Tony, my mouth slightly open from surprise that he'd ordered for me. It was a regular meal that I'd eaten at Rita's.

    "Would either of you like starter salads?"

    Tony looks across at me and I just stare at him.

    "Two Cranberry chicken salads."

    "Yes, Sir," the waiter responds before leaving.

    "I'm surprised you remembered my favorite."

    "Well I've ordered it a few times since you left," he says.

    Glancing down, I ponder what I should say. Tony and I haven't exactly talked about my leaving and everything that I've put everyone and him through.

    "I'm sorry for what I did. I—,"

    "Erin," his hand reached out for mine, "you did what you had to do. I just wish I'd have had some time with you before I saw you get shot with the Hackery case."

    "I wasn't actually shot."

    "It still doesn't take away the shock," he says, "there was a funeral."