We Should Do It Again

"That was great," I say between giggles as I walk along with Tony to his car.

    "I told you." He chuckles.

    We're walking fairly close to each other, as my hand swings forward it sweeps past his going back. My breath hitches in my chest and a flutter spins in my stomach. He takes a hold of my left hand, intertwining his fingers between mine. I glance toward our hands and look up to his face. Bronze and sculpted by his genetics as well as the sun, he looks back at me. A glitter in his eyes. A glitter that I recognize as love.

    Lifting our hands up to his face he kisses my middle and first knuckle.

    "You want to get some lunch?" He asks, lowering our hands to naturally swing between us.

    "Yeah, that would be great." I grin. The fluttering in my stomach becoming stronger with each step.

    "Two turkey clubs with the seasoned fries," I say up to the waitress as she walks up. I hadn't bothered looking at the menu and neither had Tony. I knew what he was going to order. She smiles and nods, writing the order down and taking the small menus from the tabletop.

    "How'd you know what I wanted?"

    "Please, I knew what you wanted to eat before we even got to the car." I grin.

    He smiles broadly, rubbing a thumb across the back of my hand a top the table.

    Idle conversation shares between us, talking about the things we'd seen numerous times at the museum. Retelling stories of the past about each item and our experiences of passing them by together years ago.

    My cheeks are beginning to ache with all the smiling, but I don't care. I don't want to ever stop smiling, especially with Tony. Everything is starting to feel normal, even if it has only been a few weeks since I've been back. I want nothing more than to be with him and have days like this everyday. Being with Tony has always put me at ease and ready to take on whatever came our way together.

    I laugh as Tony retells about a time when we spent time posing as stuffed figures next to a group of elderly women glancing at an installment. His index finger smooths across my hand in circle and heart shapes, bringing easiness and warmth.

    I laugh heartedly as an older man and woman stop at our table. I look up into her face and greet the woman with a smile. A warmth emanates from her that seems to be protected by a complimenting presence from the gentleman next to her.

    "You two are just so lovely. I just want to tell you, that it's great to see couples showing so much love. How long have you two been married?"

    I smile wider and look over to Tony who's smiling and looking up at her. Before I can even decide to speak, Tony answers.

    "Six years," he says up to the woman, who after hearing this brightens up.

    "That is so wonderful. Six years and you both still look like you're in your first days of love. So much like Harold and I. He still brings me breakfast in bed, just like he did on our honeymoon. Every morning with a lily."

    "You have a very thoughtful and loving husband. How long have you two been married?" I ask.

    "Sixty-two years, every day it feels like the first day I fell in love," she says, reaching over and patting her husband on the hand. Smiling up at him with bright eyes and in that look I can see two twenty year old people in love; knowing and promising each other that nothing can deter them from each other.

    "Doris, let's leave these two to enjoy their lunch. We're going to be late to see Janice and the babies."

    "Oh, alright. It was nice to meet you both, you both are just so beautiful." She smiles and pats my hand. I smile at her and watch as Harold offers his hand to her and they walk toward the front doors to leave. Their hands swinging between them like giddy teenagers, like Tony and I just an hour ago.

    I look toward him and he laughs lightly before smiling and lifting my hand off the table and kissing it twice before putting it back down.

    "Six years," I say softly with a smile. He nods and rubs circles into the back of my hand.

    "Yup. Beautiful spring wedding at Rosemont Manor in Berryville. Closest family and friends invited to celebrate with us. Great ceremony with an exciting reception. We danced our first song to All The Way by Frank Sinatra. We laughed and talked about the chances Abby would be able to get McGee dancing by the end of the night." I laugh at this.

    "Stayed over night and headed out in the morning to our wonderful honeymoon at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club in Cape Cod. Where we spent two weeks in the Round Cove Suite, played some golf and had the greatest two weeks of our lives. At least by far at that time."

    "Beautiful," I say as I stare at him in wonder. His eyes glinting with love and admiration, a sense of contentment to this fictional wedding and honeymoon.

    "We should do it again," I say softly and he smiles.

    The waitress comes by and places our turkey clubs in front of each of us as well and refills our glasses of water and tea.

    Painfully our hands separate so we may eat our clubs and enjoy our lunch. I grab a hold of one half and raise it to my mouth to bite.

    "I promise we will," he says before taking a bite.

    I nod softly and we eat in a content silence where we don't need to talk, but no matter speak every now and then to comment something funny or enjoy the sound of the others voice.