A Favor

Erin's POV

    Escaping out of the Navy Yard is not that difficult, I'd done it many times when I was a teen. Once I get into the public, that's where it's a little more tricky. I'm not sure who's still after me still. Hot wiring a car, I drive out to a remote air strip just outside of the city.

    "Oh please don't shoot me," I say as I park. I get out and start walking slowly. "Hello?"

    "We're closed," I hear from within the small building.

    "I hear the bluebirds are migrating early," I say, hoping that I'm not about to get shot.

    "I heard it was Red-Bellied Woodpecker," they reply and step out.

    "It's an odd season," I say as I look at the guy standing in front of me.

    "Thought you were dead," he says.

    "Not yet," I say. He stares long and hard before cracking a smile and motioning for me to follow him in.

    "Goddamn, I thought you were in Europe somewhere," he says.

    "I was, until some things brought me back this way." I glance around the small office he has within the hangar, a Beechcraft King Air sitting in the middle of the hanger to the right.

    "You still doing jobs?" I ask. He turns and looks at me.

    "Not that many just some smaller ones. Not many people need extractions by plane if you know what I mean." I nod.

    "You hear from Santa?" I ask. He shakes his head.

    "I don't take jobs from him anymore, it's been a few years since I worked for him. Haven't heard from me longer than that. Don't much talk to the others either, maybe Egypt on occasion, but last I head from him was about 3 years ago," he says and I nod, a small relief coming over me.

    "Now what's up, Lucky? Why are you suddenly hear in Virginia seeing me and asking about Santa?" He asks.

    "I need a favor," I say. He quirks a brow.

    "What is it?"

    "I need to get to Cuba before tonight," I say.

    "What's in Cuba?"

    "I got a case and it may end up bringing hell down on me, maybe all of us," I say and he leans back on his desk.

    "What the fuck did Santa do now?" He asks.

    "Baron, look I don't want to say any more than can get you involved. If you're not in it, it's best you stay out of it,"

    "Well that would be all fine and dandy but you came asking me for help. If my life is at risk because of him, I am a part of this."

    "You might want to call Egypt, we may need him," I reply. He nods and reaches for the phone.

    "Hey, grab some coffee and maybe a hot pocket, you look like shit," he says as he dials the phone.

    I chuckle and nod as I move to the other side of his office.

    Baron sits on the phone for about 3 minutes before he hangs up and turns to me.

    "He's on his way. Now what is going on?"

    "I was working a case and got put on as the patsy, Santa is behind it."

    "How?"

    "A Captain and Petty Officer have been murdered, the Petty Officer was killed by a guy that was connected to the people I was working with in Morocco, I was working a case on them given to me by Santa and shit hit the fan and things are starting to point back to him," I say.