The Dead Can't Talk

Erin's POV

    I can hear mumbled conversation on the other side of the door to the cabinet that I'm laying in. A moment later the door opens and I stop my breathing. There's a soft tap to my right temple and I know it's Gibbs.

    "I've got to step out and call McGee and check on that background he has on theVP," I hear Tony say, the next sound is the swoosh of the doors.

    "I'll give you a moment," Gibbs says above me as he pulls the slab table I'm on out. Next I hear his steps recede and once more the sound of the door. There are soft, slow steps that walk to me and a sigh. A bored sigh to be matter of fact.

    "Oh Agent Carter, look at you now. It was really a matter of time before things caught up to you. You knew too much, couldn't have you still running around could we?" I feel him get closer and feel his presence next to me. "Claxton had to make you his golden child all because of some stupid woman and her kid so many years ago, not that I cared to learn who they were. Wasn't any of my concern really. Looks like everything worked out though, Claxton is dead. You're dead, someone else takes the fall and I get closer to holding that VP seat for myself and maybe one day even President. Then again there's too many politics in it, it's harder to have people killed when you're the President. I guess all that patriotism really didn't mean anything in the long run, did it? You and the rest of your Ghost friends are all still terrorists in your own way. I'll do everything in my power to ensure that the rest don't ever see the light of day. Although maybe if I'd told our VP not to send the money I gave him directly to Milo and Matilda, I'd still have a partner. Well, I guess it's for the best. The man really was an idiot I mean come on transferring directly is not the way to go and he had to recommend using Matilda. A Senator's wife. I mean come on, he was getting sloppy. Best for him to take the fall. I want you to know one last thing, I'll be sure to say a few nice words for you to the President. Guess that gravestone will need an update up in Arlington," he says and chuckles lightly.

    "Good riddance Agent Carter, so much for being Lucky," he says. The slab is pushed in harshly and the door is closed. I open my eyes and hear murmurs on the other side of the door. The door is pulled open and the slab pulled back out.

    "You have no proof, she's dead. The dead can't talk," SecDef says loudly. I sit up and look at him, the color drains from his face. Tony helps me up and I smile.

    "Even if that were true, I think this will be sufficient enough," I say as I point at the mic strapped to my chest just above the hem of my strapless top.

    "Not to mention, I think the Attorney General and President got a clear copy dispatched to them through our security system and audio feed up to the Director's office," Tony answers with a smile.

    "You son-of-a-bitch, I should have had Claxton kill you years ago, but no he wanted to keep you stringing along as a hired gun so he could have you do his dirty work. Not to mention keep tabs to make sure that you weren't on to him," SecDef says as he turns and looks towards Gibbs.

    "Are you admitting to premeditated murder?" Tony asks.

    "I'm not saying anything else."

    "Oh you said enough, but it's okay, those files we referred to about earlier with evidence pointing to the VP. Remember that one? It has plenty of photographs of you in there along with plenty of audio files, money transfers and signed paperwork with your name written all over them," Tony adds. SecDefs mouth opens and closes multiple times as he looks between everyone as I jump down from the slab.

    "Come on, I think there are some individuals that wish to speak with you," Tony says as he removes SecDef from autopsy towards the elevators.

    Gibbs turns to me and I sigh as I lean against the slab.