It's A Wonderful Life

Monday Morning

    "So, how was your weekend?" Ziva asks as I walk past her desk. I glance over to her and smile.

    "Great, what about you?" I ask.

    "It was good. What did you do?" She asks. Trying nonchalance, but I know Ziva. She's working intel to know about Tony and I.

    "Went to see the museums and got lunch. Didn't know so much was added to them in the past years."

    "Yes," she says staring up at me as I stand behind my desk.

    "I didn't sleep with Tony if that's what you're wondering," I say to her in Hebrew. She sighs and nods.

    "Just making sure you are ok," she replies.

    "I'm fine. Really," I say with a smile.

    "Again with the Hebrew?" Tony asks walking into the bullpen with Tim.

    "Yes," I answer in Hebrew to him. Ziva smiles and laughs at him as Tony stares at me intently.

    "Hello Timothy," I say in English. Tim smiles and says hello.

    "So, what's—," I start to say.

    "Pack up. We got a dead marine and husband, their daughter is missing," Gibbs calls coming around the corner into the bull pen.

    "Alright, never mind."

    "Anyone else confused about this case?" I ask looking away from my computer.

    "You have no idea," Abby says walking into the bullpen. It's been a week since the murder of Lieutenant Waters and her husband, including their daughter's disappearance.

    "Abbs, please tell me you got something," Tim says, typing away at his keyboard.

    "If nothing, is something then yeah, I got something. Because there is absolutely no trace of anything at the crime scene. It's like a crime never happened at all, the house was spotless."

    "Wait, that's it. The house was spotless," I say and the others look at me like I'm crazy.

    "What are you talking about?" Tony asks.

    "Work with me here. Have you ever been to a house that was absolutely spotless, where there wasn't even a dust particle floating in the air?" I ask.

    "Yeah, hospitals are like that," Ziva offers.

    "No, a house. Besides hospitals aren't totally sterile either. Tim, no matter how tidy you keep your apartment, is it always spotless?" I ask. He thinks and slowly shakes his head.

    "No, there's always a bit of dust I missed or some crumbs from food, but what are you getting at?"

    "The housekeeper—," I start.

    "Her son was just killed in Kuwait three weeks ago, she's grieving," Abby interrupts and I nod.

    "Are you saying the housekeeper, little Ms Eliza Gray, murdered Lieutenant Waters and her husband and kidnapped their daughter?" Tony asks.

    "She's the only other person who has access to the house, has the capability to clean up the evidence, and she was close to Mia Waters. She talked about being a second mother to her when Lieutenant Waters was away for deployment," Gibbs says and I nod looking at Tony.

    "I think we should make a visit to Ms Gray, DiNozzo, David, let's go," Gibbs says as he reaches in his drawer for his badge and gun.

    "McGee, I want you to look into the financials of Ms Gray and see if she's made any peculiar purchases. Erin, I want you to help him, you too Abbs," he says before the others head out and we descend to Abby's lab to research.

    Four hours later the others return, Mia Waters along with them. They called ahead saying that she was safe in custody along with Eliza Gray. Tim called for Mia's uncle, Lieutenant Waters' brother to come pick up Mia. I walk up to them, Mia walking by Gibbs, her hand in his. Tony and Ziva walk past and continue to their desks and I look down at Mia. I kneel before her.

    "Hey, Mia," I say. She stares up at me with wide eyes. "Hey, I'm not going to hurt you, okay? My name's Erin, I'm going to take you someplace to wait for your uncle, is that okay?" I ask. She stares at me before nodding slowly.

    "Here," I say as I offer my hand. She looks at it hesitantly before reaching her small hand out to me and grasping mine. Her grip is tight, fearful and scared of what's happened and what's to come. She steps forward and quickly wraps her arms around my neck. I wrap my arms tightly around the small, five year old, feeling her ragged breathing against my neck. I look up at Gibbs and he looks sad. Standing up, Mia wraps her legs around my waist and I hold onto her as I turn to see the rest of the team watching me as I head for the stairs and the Director's office.

    It's been about thirty minutes since when I hear a man's voice hurrying up to the director's office door.

    "Mia?" He calls and the small girl looks up quickly as the man enters the office. She bolts off the couch and towards him. He kneels and catches her as she throws herself into him.

    "Uncle Roy," she says and I smile as she clings to her uncle. I stand and walk over, Roy Durst looks up at me with a soft smile. I nod and smile back as he stands and holds Mia. She turns around and stares at me.

    "Thank you for waiting with me," she says in her small voice and I smile.

    "You're welcome Mia," I say. "Here, if you ever need anything, I'm always available to help," I say as I offer my card to Mr Durst. He takes it and nods. The director enters her office and goes to speak with Mr Durst and I take my cue to leave, heading back to the bullpen where the rest of the team is working on their paperwork.