The Call

My hand raises and brushes along the white stone and I release a shaky breath as my name stares back at me.

    I'm not sure how much time goes by before my phone rings in my pocket and I pull it out to see that it's Gibbs.

    "Yeah?" I answer.

    "Where are you? We have a case," he says.

    I clear my throat. "Um, I'm getting some coffee and something to eat, I'll be there in a few," I say.

    "Well, you're forty-six minutes late for work, so hurry it up," he says and I quickly stand.

    "Will do," I say and hang up, looking at the time and groaning. I quickly walk back to my car and get in, heading for the office.

    I get there within five minutes and park in the garage, once on our floor, I walk out to see the team sitting at their desks.

    "I'm here," I say and Gibbs stares at me before standing and grabbing his badge and gun. The others stare at me in curious concern and I ignore them as I follow after Gibbs to the elevator.

    We get to the car and as I reach for my door, my phone dings and I look down to see that it's from the unknown number. I open the message and see a photo of myself at the cemetery sitting at my grave.

    "What's up?" Ziva says next to me and I shove my phone back in my pocket.

    "Just Abby asking if I'm okay," I say and Ziva looks at me curiously before turning away, accepting the explanation. I softly sigh and hear my phone ding once more. I turn the volume off and look at the message.

    It's another photo, this time it's a close up of the headstone, a bouquet of chrysanthemums lain at the bottom. Perhaps one day this won't have been a waste. My teeth grind together as I look at the photo. I glance up to see McGee glancing over to me and I smile towards him as I put my phone back in my pocket.

    Once the case is over, I begin to grow with anticipation for the next message, the next phone call, but they never come. Days go by with no contact from Ivann. Days turn into weeks and weeks into months, it's nearly two months later and I'm starting to think that he won't contact me, that he's left back to Russia, when I get a phone call while sitting in the bull pen, working on paperwork.

    My desk phone rings and I answer.

    "Special Agent Erin Carter, how can I help you?" I ask.

    "East Capitol St NE & First St SE, Washington, DC 20004. Meet me there, fifteen minutes," is all is said before I hear a click. I glance around the room slowly.

    "Sure, I'll be there in a few minutes," I say as I place the phone back on the receiver.

    "What's up?" Gibbs asks.

    "Oh, just a call about an apartment. Remember I said I was going to start looking soon?" I say as I stand, grabbing my jacket off the back of my chair.

    "No, I don't remember you saying that," he says as he leans back in his seat. By now the rest of the team is watching us.

    "You sure? I'm pretty sure I brought it up a few weeks ago, anyway I got a call about an apartment that they want me to see in Arlington. I can take my lunch right?" I ask as I grab my keys.

    "Sure, I'll come with you. We can all take a lunch," he says and I force a smile.

    "Gibbs, I can look at an apartment on my own. Come on, I'll be back before you know it," I say as I walk towards the elevator and enter it as someone gets off.

McGee's POV

    "Is it just me or does she seem jumpy?" I ask and look around at the group.

    "Maybe she is just excited about seeing this apartment," Ziva says and I watch as Gibbs continues to stare at the phone on Erin's desk and Tony is looking after the elevator.

    "McGee, can you trace the call that Erin got?" Gibbs asks and I turn towards him.

    "Boss, I'm sure it was just a real estate agent," I say.

    "Can you trace the call McGoo?" Tony asks and I look at him. His face is as concerned as Gibbs.

    "Yeah, it's going to take a few minutes," I say.