Chapter 19

•warning abuse•

•warning abuse•

Friday came sooner than expected and so did the Halloween party. The girls and I were planning on getting ready at Riley's house after our game tonight. The party started at 8:00 so it gave all of us time to get ready and put the final touches on the rest of the house. Our game tonight was against Parkview and this also meant that I would have to face my ex-best friend.

Maya Summers and I used to go to middle school together. We the closet friends you could ever think of, we spent almost everyday at each others houses talking, playing dolls, and hanging out.

Maya was on the more popular side in middle school and had more friends than I did, however she still made time for me and I slowly became her best friend. It wasn't until I joined the cheer team and she joined the dance team that we started to drift apart. She started to find herself with a group of girls that weren't necessarily the nicest people ever, but she thought they were the best. Jump to a few years later we both found a love for softball and joined our schools team together. Everything was a competition with her. I always strived to be good at what I do, I never wanted to have the title of playing softball just to play it, I played it because I loved it. For Maya, it was all about the title. When I started to be liked by more people, she started to dislike me even more. Her jealousy clouded her mind and she couldn't overlook the fact that I was stronger than her in more ways. She moved to Parkview a few months after that, and I found out she was a starting pitcher, however it was only because she was a senior.

I started to never let anyone in after Maya, that was until I met Riley. Riley came to me in one of my darkest times. Dad and Dylan had just passed, mom was starting her drinking and dating, I felt that I was loosing everyone close to me. Riley kept me grounded and she still does. Riley had been a sister to me ever since she came up to me on the bus one day and offered me her strawberries. Riley and I met Mac when we joined our softball team freshman year, and we all just sort of clicked together. Ever since then it's been smooth sailing.

***

School went by pretty fast. I kept ignoring Ryan as best I could but that only took me so far. I know some may think that it's ridiculous that I'm ignoring him over a kiss but it's what that kiss meant. I thought that him kissing me would open new doors for us, I had let him in somewhat into my life and told him about my dad and Dylan, he opened up to me, and we kissed. When he pulled away from me and had that look of regret full his eyes I knew that I had just got let down again.

Ryan would occasionally look in my direction, but would quickly look away when I caught him looking at me. I just decided to push my feelings down and go back to being my lonesome self.

After school was over the girls and I made our way over the the athletics house where the locker rooms were and we quickly put our uniforms on.