Chapter 15

Pain, pain was all I felt when I came to the next morning

I couldn't believe what had happened last night.

I was wincing in pain as I carefully sat up from the hard floor that I had slept on and looked around for my mom. She wasn't where I last saw her and I didn't know where she was or if she was ok.

"Mom," I called out while holding my side. I slowly got up from the floor and went to look for her. As soon as I stood up, I felt the throbbing pain in my right eye. I felt a tear start to fall from my swollen eye, so I went to the freezer to get an ice pack. I placed the ice pack on my eye and went back to looking for my mom.

I made my way slowly down the hallway to our rooms and opened her door to see her just getting out of the shower. She looked almost fine.

"Mom," I asked her while I was holding my side and the ice pack to my eye.

"Yes," she said sounding rather annoyed.

"Are you ok," I asked moving closer to her bed.

"I'm fine, why do you ask," she asked without even looking at me.

"Oh, just the fact that your "boyfriend" beat on me and probably did worse to you and you look fine," I started to get louder when I said this to her.

As soon as I said this she turned to look at me. She stared at me with a blank face as if she thought this was going to happen.

"Honey, I'm sorry I-I-I didn't know what he was going to do," she said with tears welling in her eyes.

"It's fine," was all I said to her.

"No, it's not I'm your mother I should protect you," she said while walking over to me.

She came over to me and took my hand slowly off of my eye. I watched as the tears started to fall from her eyes.

"Oh, baby I'm sorry," she said to me while stroking my cheek carefully.

"I'll be fine," I said to her. I knew this act wasn't going to last long, so I wasn't going to get my hopes up that she might be ok from now on because I knew she would never be without dad.

***

After Mom was done trying to be a mom, she went to work. Since she didn't have her car, she needed to get a ride from a work friend.

I was in so much pain, but I needed to go to school. I was going to be late, but it's better than not going at all. I had my mom call the office and tell them I had a doctor's appointment, so that's why I was late although I don't know how they will feel seeing my very black eye.

I was very careful in getting ready and went with something very loose so it wouldn't irritate the bruise on my rib.

I decided on just wearing a pair of black leggings and a loose brown zip-up.