Chapter 20

*3 hours before the party*

This game was an intense one. It was the bottom of the sixth inning and we were down by two, and Mac was up to hit. I noticed that Josh was more anxious as he watched her take her position at the plate. Bases were loaded, which meant ten times the amount of pressure when it came to being at the plate.

"Ball four," the ump called.

Mac threw her bat to Riley, who was on deck for hitting, and then took her spot at first, this made it so the player at third could come home and get us to tie the game.

It was now Riley who had the pressure on her. I now watched as Connor took on the anxiety as he watched Riley take a solid hit to the infield which earned us a run to take the lead.

Riley was now at first, which meant Mallory was up at the plate. You could tell that everyone was feeling tense seeing her up at the plate, but I was feeling the most of it. I wanted her to do good. Not only for herself but to prove that she was strong and didn't need anyone. She was already a very independent person from the start, it's what drew me to her, but so she also saw that herself.

"Time," the ump called from behind the plate.

We watched as Parkview's coach walked out to the mound to talk to her pitcher. It seemed that the pitcher wasn't having the best game, so they brought out another pitcher.

"Batter up," the ump yelled to get Mallory's attention.

She seemed rather shaken up by the new pitcher, I wondered what that was all about.

Mallory took her spot in the box but had her hand raised to show the ump that she needed time. I noticed that the pitcher was starting to take a step back as if she was going to pitch the ball, but she couldn't do that because Mallory clearly had her hand up.

The new pitcher stepped back onto her leg and swung her arm to release the ball with full force right at Mallory. Everyone in the stands tried to yell or make some sort of noise to get Mallory to look up, and it worked just in time for her to get out of the way of the ball.

"Strike," the ump yelled.

I immediately grabbed the dry-erase marker out of Josh's hand and began writing a chant on the whiteboard to show our student section.

You can't do that

You can't do that

You can't do that

I wrote out and they canted three times, each following a set of claps.

It wasn't long before Mallory stepped back into the batter's box and regained her position.

"Strike," the ump called.

Everyone in the stands was on the edge of their seat watching these events unfold. We watched as the pitcher took one final wind-up, and released the ball from her hand. Mallory was quick enough to see this coming and was able to react just in time to crank the ball right out of the park. The stands erupted into cheers of congrats to Mallory, Josh and Connor were jumping up and down uncontrollably, but I just wished I could go over to her and give her the congrats she deserved, with her lips on mine.