Her CI

(Before I start this one, quick question: should I keep putting Upstead family oneshots in this book, or just make another book specifically for those? I'm not saying that I will make my decision purely based on what y'all say, but I am curious on y'all's thoughts, so please let me know! Thanks)
(Set season 7 after Hailey's CI was shot infront of her. Jay and Vanessa are there for her as she copes and processes.)
(And yes, I am so sad about Jesse's departure. That episode broke me a little and I'm not convinced those tears he and Tracy shed weren't genuine tears. I'll still find ways to have Jay in stuff for this season, so send in the requests please! I've got a series of oneshots I'm doing after this, but will do episode based stories in between them before getting back to the other stuff.)
——
As soon as Hailey had returned to the district covered in blood with a blank look on her face, Vanessa and Jay became concerned. They'd heard her call on the radios but hadn't been able to get to her, which they hated.

They tried to talk to her, as had Trudy, but Hailey wasn't having any of it and snapped at them. She was pissed, and she had every right to be. Her CI, someone she was friends with, had been killed right infront of her.

At the end of the day, Jay and Vanessa waited in the parking lot while Hailey talked to Voight. She'd pushed some boundaries the rest of the day and Jay heard her crying in the locker room, but she'd refused to say anything.

"Have you ever seen her this way?" Vanessa asked, nervous for what the night would entail.

"Yeah, I have. She's likely to shut down or break down when she gets home. Or drink until she breaks down. I've seen it happen a few times," Jay sighed, thinking of McGrady, Booth, and Devon Williams.

"Wanna come over tonight? Only if Hailey's okay with it? Or will she want me around?" Vanessa worried, only wanting to help her friend but still learning how exactly to do so.

"I'll come if Hailey's okay with it. She'll be okay with you around, I actually think it will help. The main thing is going to be getting her to eat, I'm sure you've noticed that she doesn't eat when she's upset. It's important to make sure she has something in her system, especially when there's going to be alcohol involved," Jay finished as the door opened and an upset Hailey stormed out of the district.

"Who do you want to ride with?" Jay asked softly, seeing the tears in her blue eyes and the telltale tremble of her lip.

Hailey simply got into the passenger seat of her Jeep and Jay sighed. This was bad.

"Take her home, V. I'll get a pizza from Bartoli's. Anything particular?"

"I'm not picky, just no mushrooms," Vanessa shrugged.

"Kay. See you seen, don't let her lock herself in her room please, it'll be hard to get her back out," Jay advised and Vanessa nodded and got in the Jeep.

Hailey was quiet the whole drive and followed Vanessa into the house. She tried to go upstairs but Vanessa stopped  her.

"Hail, no, stay downstairs. Jay's coming with pizza," Hailey shut her eyes and dropped her bag to the ground and she huffed, trying not to cry.

"Can I shower?" She asked quietly, visibly fighting her tears.

"Go shower, but please leave the door unlocked and come right back down. I'll go change as well," Vanessa said, touching her shoulder.

Hailey nodded and ran upstairs. She showered and cried then put on a sports bra, sweatshirt, and shorts before going back downstairs and curling herself up on the couch. Vanessa sat by her and put an arm around her, getting Hailey to lean into her.

"It's not on you," she said gently.

"It is. It's my fault. He was mine, and he's gone," Hailey's voice was void of emotion, which scared the younger girl.