Part 10:

I was shocked. Y/N? The new Host? Working with me?

"I do believe I am making the right choice, and you both will start work together immediately if she agrees. I need to know if you two are a good fit."

Working with her... how could this happen? Does he know? No. He doesn't. Why would he know?

"I'm taking her from the games tonight since the VIP's will soon arrive. You may accompany me to asking her, if you'd like."

"Of course I will, sir."

....

Lights out came, and the Host and I were on our way, with pink guards, to the room where we would bring Y/N. I felt this odd thing I've never felt before. It was like... I had to impress her. I knew she wouldn't see me if she said no to the offer, but I slicked my hair back extra, I put on more cologne, and I just tried harder. Even though I didn't want to, it was like my eyes and hands wouldn't allow me to stop running over my features to make sure they were perfect.

The manager was the one who would take her, and we would await her arrival. We were fairly close to the room, so the host and I had a small chat.

"Would you like me to say anything, sir?" I questioned.

"I will do the talking. I'll explain the job to her. If you feel the need to talk or add something I may miss, of course you have my permission."

Per the Host's orders, we were alone in the room. Il-Nam had his mask off. He knew Y/N better than I, and he said she was a safe person to show his face to. He mentioned that even if she won and made it out without accepting the offer, she wouldn't report us even if she knew our names.

After a few minutes, a manager shoved Y/N into the room. She yelled at him a bit for not having manners and mistreating her, and then she stared at us. Her face went white when she saw the Host.

"Sir, you're alive!" She said.

Her voice was still as sweet as I remember. She was so much prettier in person than on the monitors.

She rushed up to him and gave him a hug. I guess she really missed him. I was just there, watching.

She released him, and then Il-Nam told her to sit. She nodded and slowly walked to the opposite side of the table where a single chair was placed.

"I have so many questions..." she started. "How are you here? You were Gi-Hun's partner, and he made it out alive. And why are you sitting with him?"

She looked at me when she said that. I felt a little... something when she looked at me.

"Here are the answers to both questions, dear Y/N," the host replied, making her turn her head back to look at him. "I host the games."

She had an expression of shock painted on her face. I understand why. How can this sweet old man host death games? The idea behind it holds the best of intentions, but she didn't know that yet. It was really something the Host only shared with me.

   "You?" She questioned. "Why?"

    Il-Nam sighed and intertwined his hands.

"Y/N. I'm sure Player 456 told you about my illness at some point."

She looked down at her feet and nodded sadly.

"I only played the games this once because I wanted to feel something... one last time. Other than that, I have monitored the Games every time. If you're asking why I created them, it's because I have so much money that I don't know what to do with it. I'm giving those who are less fortunate a second chance at life."

I think something inside Y/N understood. She knew that Il-Nam's intentions were pure, but maybe it was at least not executed well. Pun intended. What? Am I making jokes? What does this woman do to me?

I was suddenly drawn out of my thoughts when the beautiful girl in front of me started to speak.

"I understand that... but why murder them?"

Il-Nam actually thought about it for a second.

"You see... we gave everyone the choice to come back. Or leave, they choose. You all knew what this entailed after the first game. This is their last chance. In the end... it's better for them. They would have lived miserable lives. In debt, on the streets... it's better for them to move on. If that reason wasn't enough, we also could not function without it. You see, we have... investors. This operation wouldn't have the funding needed without the brutality."

She stared at him as he spoke. She looked down a bit, and nodded slowly.

"I understand the... first reason. But when you're in the games, and not like how you were, but as a normal player, it seems much more... sadistic. It felt as though you all take pleasure in the torture this causes us. "

I could tell she was reflecting on everything she went through earlier. People she bonded with in this place were dead. Well, she thought one of them was until now.

Il-Nam sighed and shook his head.

"That is not what we try to do, Y/N. But, I cannot control the staff's emotions. Think about this; If they had remorse for every death they caused in this place, they would be better off like every player that lost, for they would be dead on the inside."

Il-Nam suddenly took a more... optimistic (?) path.

"But, Y/N, I believe you can change that. You have the kindness to show everyone in the staff that this place does some good, no matter the death and destruction. You can make them see that this is for a good cause. That it isn't just some... empty cause controlled by bloodsport and bloodlust. Sure, we have the VIP's, and no matter how much we dislike it, we need them. I am wealthy, Y/N, but I am not rich enough to be giving away hundreds of billions of won every game."

"Wait... VIP's? Are they elite players? I thought you said everyone gets fair treatment."

"And they do," I spat out, surprising myself. My heart gave a little flutter as she turned her attention to me, and so did the host. "...At this facility, we give each and every one of our players equal treatment. The VIP's are the...sponsors the Host mentioned earlier. They gamble a lot of their money away on players they think will win. They are rich men that get a thrill watching people like you compete. When they do not guess correctly, we benefit. It usually happens that way."

Il-Nam nodded to me as a form of thank-you. I nodded back, and we looked at Y/N.

"Why do only you have a mask on?" She asked, pointing to me.

"That is a mixture of preference and staff rules. Since you've already seen me, there is no need for my mask, Y/N. He chooses to not show you his face. As you know, we also have everybody else involved wear masks for their security, but should he want to take his mask off or I, we can," Il-Nam replied.

She nodded.

"If I did... take over your position... will I be required to wear a mask around other staff besides you two?"

"Technically, you would be the one in charge, Y/N. You would not have to wear if you didn't want to. But, If you trust our staff and players enough to reveal your face, then so be it, my child. It just shows me how much faith you have in everyone around you."

She smiled.

"Okay. So..." she trailed off.

I knew what this meant, and I was on the edge of my seat. Say yes say yes say- wait what. No. I don't like her. I hate coworkers. Say no.

"I will accept your offer."