Part 34:

(A/N: Yall, I don't cry from much but that video above had me in tears. Definitely go watch 🥺)

    The room was nice inside. The walls were a dark cream/beige color from the lack of light, and it was very inviting. There was still light in the room, but it was very minimal and it didn't overpower the overall chill vibe in the room. In the far left corner, there was a white cushioned chair with armrests as well as a small table and the right corner had the same but in black. The paintings were various, but most held land and seascapes. A few held cool-toned still life as well as dark abstract art. There were no windows, but there was a lamp that allowed for more light if needed.

     I looked at the architect that was still looking at me, and he smiled to show that he wanted me to go in. I gave him a slight smile back and walking into the room. I heard the door shut behind me.

I first walked over to the left corner of the room. I traced my hand over the chair's smooth yet slightly rough material and eyed the table next to it. While walking over to look at the other far corner, I admired some of the paintings on the wall. One depicted rain over the ocean. It was blue themed obviously, and the sky was black, gray, and navy. There was a definite contrast in the distance where a lighthouse was placed. It was white and red with a yellow speck that mimicked its light. The difference was appropriate as the dark colors of the sea, rain, and sky represented hardships, unforgiving circumstances, negative emotions, etc, and the lighthouse with its light colors was symbolic of mercy and the "light at the end of the tunnel".

The way I analyzed the painting was so random, but it made me realize something. For this game, I really need to think outside of the box. I can create something with a classic foundation and make it have the same violence the squid game had. It needed all of those elements, but of course no kid game I knew involved brutality. The end of the game should involve hand to hand combat and direct opposition between the last two players.

I peeled my eyes away from the inspirational piece of art and sat down on the closest chair to me; the black chair. It had no table next to it, which made me assume that this room was made for one person (no distractions), and the sole reason that this chair was placed here was just in case somebody else happened to visit for a short period of time. I didn't mind much, so I started trying to make a list of kids games I knew.

American children's games were mostly a thing of the past now that WiFi, video games, and other technology were invented, but I still could think of my childhood because I didn't necessarily have everything that this generation of children had. I was a fan of board games and card games, but come on, what fun would that be? I laughed at imagining the VIPs watching the final death match as a game of something like Slapjack.

I had a decent list now, and I assumed I had been in here for about a 10 minute period. Just to make sure I covered everything, I got my phone from where I sat it on the chair and made a quick Google visit. Most of which came up after the search for "1v1 children's games" were stuff like scrabble and Yahtzee. It wasn't what I was looking for, so I added "outside". It wasn't what I was looking for either because everything that was shown was the type of games such as frisbee, cornhole, badminton, and lawn darts. How frustrating.

    My phone was of no help, so I turned it off and closed my eyes to think. I imagined running around in the grass playing with some other kids my age when I was younger. It made me smile, but this wasn't the time for nostalgia. What did we do? I remembered playing clue, guess who, monopoly, (why were they all board games?), just running around, and two other games that made me stop thinking.

     That was it. Those two games. I could combine them to make them fit this. I knew exactly what I would do.

    I didn't write all of it down because it was too long to write, but I scribbled ____ ___ ____/ ___ on my paper.

    I got up to make my way out of the room and turned the lights off (they were barely on to begin with). I saw that the creation room was empty, so I figured that they left as they said they might.

    I wandered to the hallway and looked both ways to see if there was a worker around. Nobody in sight.

    "Hello? Anybody?" I called. No response.

     I exited the room and left the door cracked. I know they told me not to go too far, but I'm an adult. I'm not a child. I can do whatever I want.

     I was back in the room. Okay, maybe I was a child because what I was about to do seemed to be very immature. I got all the pencils in the cup on the table and took them with me. I was planning on pulling a Hansel and Gretel so I could find my way back to this room if need be. I don't know why I'm doing this, and it seems more dramatic than it should be, but I really don't want to get lost in this labyrinth.

I walked back out and decided to go right because if you go right you can never go wrong. It was a silly thing that was hanging on a poster in my American middle school to remind us to navigate the traffic better, but it kinda stuck with me, especially when idiots would be on the wrong side of the hallway (which I found tremendously annoying). Anyways, back to the not-getting-lost situation at hand.

I placed one pen on the ground in front of the door. It was very light and I hoped nobody stepped on it because it was one of those translucent gray BIC pens that are about 50 cents a pack. I always saw those in offices and schools when I was in America, so it was humorously nostalgic to see them here. I laughed and walked a bit down the hall. I was feeling fine with my choice because we came from this way, or so I thought, but they never specified whether they were going to a new room or old one. Heck, they could be going across the facility.

I didn't really leave many pens because I didn't want to run out but I made sure that at least one of the pens were in my sight line when I left another. I hadn't taken the turn yet, which kinda weirded me out, but I didn't care much as this hallway had to eventually end, right? Maybe?

I saw a wall at the end and it was the awaited turn. I left one of the items directly in the middle of it. Thankfully, light was right there, so I knew that it was almost done with. I laughed at this ridiculous situation. Maybe I would ask Il-Nam for some type of phone that's designed to be a map and tell me my location here all the time.

I walked out with my black office pen holding cup in hand and looked around while smiling widely. I saw a flash of pink and there was suddenly a triangle worker staring at me. I probably looked ridiculous right now, but maybe I didn't care. I laughed.

"Do you know where they went?" I asked.

He nodded his head briefly, and I giggled softly.

"Can you take me to them? Or, at least tell them that I thought of something, please?"

He nodded again and gestured for me to follow him. I started and then said "oh!". He turned to me.

"I kinda left a little pen trail," I said, holding up the pen cup and shaking it. "So I kind of need to go pick them back up."

(A/N: DAMN IT! I was aiming to post it before 12 am but it just turned. Jeez. I'm still marking the publishing date for yesterday tho lol)

Original Publish Date: 5/26/23