Part 39:

(Quick A/N: I'm putting Y/N as 22. Of course you can imagine her as something different because it won't come up much. I also made up a random name for In-Ho's mom. Thanks guys!)

        "Wait- when are we what?" I asked. She smiled knowingly.

        "My question was, when are you going to start dating my so-" she started, being interrupted by In-Ho.

      "Mom, please. Not tonight," he implored.

      She rolled her eyes jokingly and gave us another warm smile.

     "Of course, son. Since you won't let me have any fun, I'll just ask you some standard questions that a mother would ask her son's future girlfriend."

I blushed at the title and In-Ho groaned.

"Mom."

"Okay, okay, sorry. So, I'll go with a question you probably get a lot. Why did you leave the United States?" She asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows and thought of an answer. She was probably thinking I'd say something like to further my education, learn about the culture, visit distant family, etc, but I had no real answer like that. I had picked a place to have a new area to live in and some kind of new adventure. I wanted different than America for a while.

      "I just kind of wanted something new. I wanted to live in a different place than what I had known in my life, so I came here. Maybe if there's a really good university here that I'm interested in, I'll go to school in Korea. I have some scholarship money saved up from high school, though."

She nodded.

"Oh, school? How old are you, dear?"

"I'm 22."

She looked pretty shocked and stared in In-Ho's direction. I saw that he didn't meet her gaze, though.

"You're still very young, dear. But, how did you get into becoming a private investigator if you didn't yet go to college?" She queried.

       "A private investigator?" I muttered to myself in question.

      I looked to In-Ho out of the corner of my eye and saw he was looking at me. His expression appeared as though he was hoping that he went with it.

     "O-oh, yes! I, um... got an internship! I'm trying to kind of... feel out what I like or not. I don't know what I want to do in life just yet, so I'm trying to see if this is right for me. So far, it's going pretty great though."

      In-Ho looked pretty relieved.

      "That's great, dear! And if you do end up studying more, are there any colleges you are particularly interested in?" She questioned sweetly.

       "Uh, well, I did a little bit of research into it, and I think that if I had to pick one, I'd go to one of the SKYs," I answered. (If you don't know, it's a Korean abbreviation for the three most prestigious universities in that country. S= SNU, where Sang-Woo went. K= Korea University. Y= Yonsei University).

       She looked at me for a while.

      "You have some big dreams, dear, and I admire that. I hope it's not a rude question or overstepping, but do you believe you have good chances at getting in?"

     "I would hope so, yes."

     I saw that In-Ho was now looking at me, now seeming to be wordlessly engaged in the conversation.

    "Well I hope that you get into whatever college you so choose, dear."

      I smiled and nodded in thanks. She then raised her arm slightly to motion for the waiter (I don't know restaurant etiquette in Korea, I'm sorry). He came over with a kind smile on his face and asked us what we would like for our drinks. We told him, and he scurried off to the kitchen. In-Ho's mom then looked at me like she remembered something.