Part 44:

"Section Seven."

It's the second round of Four Corners, and Section 7 was just picked for elimination. This means that, soon, all players in that section would be swimming with the fishes per se. I looked up to the Front Man sadly, and then I looked on the left of him to see all of the players falling into the new hole made by the splitting section. They all screamed as they were dropped into the pool, and again, there was a terrifying splash. There was actually one person who was hanging on by the wall of the left side of the section.

"Help!" The man called.

I was sure that there was a slight chance he could make it over, if this was a different situation, because he looked fairly strong. Everybody that was near the scene took a couple of steps back because either they didn't want to be punished too or because they had the motto that this game was every man for himself. Regardless, the man hung on for probably less than 10 seconds before he both of his hands were turned into bloody messes. The section 7 triangle worker had shot at him two times; both were aimed at his hands. With one shot, the man screamed and his injured hand let go of the wall. He cursed and looked at his disfigured hand. Another shot, and he lost his grip, slipping off of the wall leaving blood splatters behind and screaming all of the way down. After the big splash, you could hear another bloodcurdling scream before the section closed for good, and all noises were shut out.

I stared at it for a long time. Every single time people were attempting to go in a section that was just called, a crowd gathered, and one brave person would cautiously put down one foot on the middle slit. They'd wait until the result was that they did not fall in, and they'd continue entering as normal with everybody following them. I guess they assumed that maybe we would trick them into thinking the platform was sturdy and let some poor souls fall in before elimination time. I wouldn't do that. That would not be fair.

        There were a lot of people in section 7 and section 4. I've heard that the number four is an Angel number, so either people were going to it because they believed in that or because it was already called. Either are valid. I've noticed that the majority now tends to migrate to the section that was just called because what are the chances of one of them being called twice in a row? Kind of slim, but it's possible.

        The timer now read that there were only 31 seconds left. As I looked around all sections, I could see that everybody was in their section of choice and nervously awaiting the number called. Nobody looked confident because it was a game of chance. This meant that I could not really pick out a few players who I thought would last long and more that would probably not last the second game. I could also not do what I most wanted to do and pick out this game's equivalents of my game's players. I really wanted to see who the equal of me was, but I could not, for nobody would probably be me. There were no foreigners, and there were certainly no future Hosts. The easiest to pick out would be 101's equivalent as well as 212's.

         After I was done thinking about my own personal game of finding players that matched last game's, I noticed that there was a woman who had not yet picked her section. She was near the wall that joined Section 5 and Section 6. Her hands were over her face, and her body was shaking with sobs. Section 6's triangle walked over to her because there were less than 10 seconds left.

       "Get up."

       She peeked through her hands and continued to cry.

       "Please, sir," she pleaded. "I don't want to do this. This is wrong! Are you really okay with killing us?! How could you do this to-"

        He cut her off by shooting her. I jolted at the sight. I've already acknowledged that there will never be a time that I am completely unaffected by the sight of someone's death. She was slouched down with her legs semi-open and her eyes were open. So was her mouth. A pool of blood was collecting under her now, and everybody in the neighboring sections of her area visibly backed up a step.