Part 30:

This time, I didn't wake up in a position that I wasn't in when I drifted into sleep. I was still on my left side and there was a slight pain in my neck. I had woken up because there was a stop in the movement of the car. It was a weird cause for me to wake up, but I guess.

I got up and stretched my arms above my head, making sure to not do it too dramatically so the Front Man could still have his space. When my back felt better, I laid back down against the seat. To my surprise, the Front Man was watching me with his mask off. His uncovered face still gave me butterflies because he surely was handsome, but I kind of had to cover it for fear he would think of me as weird and things would be made awkward between us. They already were, but I wasn't quite at rock bottom yet. It could get worse. He still hasn't stopped staring though. I looked right back at him.

"You know what?" I spoke. "I don't know much about you."

He looked towards me with a blank expression on his face and sipped his alcohol once more.

"That's how it's supposed to be."

I pouted at him.

"Yes, maybe, but we should at least get to know the basics." I turned towards him, giving him my full attention. "You're so closed off from everybody. Why, because you think you'll start to care about people in this cold world? You might have friends and start to thaw your heart?"

They were all rhetorical questions, and I'm pretty sure the reason his eyes seemed to bore into me was because he knew I was completely spot on. I still made piercing eye contact and didn't back down. Neither did he. We're both too stubborn. I could have possibly hit a nerve, but I didn't care at this moment. As much as I hate to admit it, I do want to get to know him better. Why should I not? He was so interesting and mysterious, not to mention so. fine. Incredibly fine, like I had never even seen this amount of handsomeness bestowed upon one man-

"Fine."

He equally turned towards me. I tried to hide my shock because the man I knew would never ever give up that easily. Especially to me.

"You know what happened already," he stated, talking about the one night he told me of his closest family member. I nodded solemnly. "I was like you. In the games."

    That confused me a lot. I tilted my head and studied his face. Did he win and come back or did he get offered the job like me? Speaking of, how did the workers get there? Did they send out a job application like "Yeah anybody who wants to kill people on a daily basis or work your butt off physically, click here" or did they take them out of the games too? None of them seemed viable.

    "How did you get... here?" I questioned. He seemed to understand I was talking about his position.

    "I won my games."

     That was surprising, but also not surprising. He seemed to have the right mindset, attitude, and... physical attributes... but that was really lucky. He survived. Out of hundreds of people, it was him. Had we not, I would never have met him...

     "Wait, so, in won, you're a billionaire?"

     "Yes."

     "Wow."

       It may have seemed like a very simple thing to tell me about, but it felt really important. We both understood each other and had some underlying trauma from competing, I knew that. I was still in the process of mourning my friends, which I had no time for by the way, and it seemed like he got how he was from participating. Maybe he lost someone close to him like I did and that's why he won't befriend me.