Part 49:

⚠️TW! I cannot say the TW because that would spoil the chapter, but if you're very sensitive to potential triggers, I advise you to not read this. At least, not after the ... ⚠️

          The Front Man and I walked into the door to the room we ate breakfast in. It was newly decorated with a different table. The new one was round, and a tablecloth was draped over it. It was black, and around the bottom of the cloth was hot pink lace that curved up and down into waves around the bottom of the cloth, and I admired it. I wondered how they could get shiny lace. Maybe it was just rich privilege.

           The two men who were previously sat at the table stood up. Il-Nam smiled warmly at me, and I smiled back. One man I had not seen in over a month: The Salesman. He looked just as alluring and charming as he had when I first saw him. Just like the cash. When I saw all of the money, I could hardly believe it could be mine just by playing a children's game, but look at where I am now. It was weird to see him because it was like taking a glimpse into the past, and it was the first encounter with the organization, the thing that started everything.

         I gave him what was probably an unsure grin, and then I looked down at the ground, towards the table legs. I saw In-Ho look at me out of the corner of my eyes, and I looked to him and nodded. I looked back ahead at the scene. On the table was the same meal that the last three players of my games ate. It looked even more delicious in person, and I was hungry, but I was also not hungry at the same time. I still felt sick emotionally about throwing away all morals that have ever laid a foundation for my identity and killing people.

          "Miss Host," the Salesman greeted. I was across from Il-Nam with the Salesman on my right and In-Ho on my left with my table placement. I let In-Ho's hand go and faced him, getting into that pose that most ladies back in the 1900's do. It was the thing where they bend at the elbows and let their hands rest over their stomach to look elegant. He did, however, reach for my hand with his right, brushing my stomach in the process. I resisted the urge to jolt back from the sudden touch, and he bent down at the waist to kiss my hand. I had almost never been treated so formally, so I looked to In-Ho on my right to see what he thought of this. He just stood there, but I could feel a negative emotion radiating from him. I looked back to the Salesman, who was already in the process of standing back up straight.

        "Pleasure to meet you again, Miss Host. You are just as lovely as the first time we met," he complimented.

        I looked at him, unused to the flattery, and slipped my hand gently out of his. I didn't know how to react at first, so I just looked at him for a moment before responding.

       " Thank you. I appreciate the compliment," I managed.

        " You have also designed brilliant games this year. You're doing a fantastic job," he said.

        The way he said that did not sit right with me. He had a tone that didn't quite make me comfortable, and I was becoming less appreciative of the ordeal. I know this man didn't have good intentions, but I just didn't know what those intentions were. People also kiss up to their superiors, so that could be what's happening right now, but I think not. Usually people try to hide when they are trying to climb the ladder of success by taking shortcuts, but not him. He was different, and I'm sure I would know what he wanted from me by dinner's end.

          "I am very grateful. It was hard trying to come up with ideas for good games, but somehow I managed to come up with something."

        He smiled almost evilly at me, and I again almost lost my composure. It was hard for me not to break my smile and just stare at him like I was trying to analyze him, because that's what I was doing, and just be professional. I'm sure I could ask the Front Mam about this later to see if he had any clue about what was happening, and if maybe someone else could see what I was looking for in him. Any breaks in his exterior. Any flaws or cracks in the fortress.

           "Welcome, my child. We're very glad to have you join us," he spoke. "And, Front Man, it is always a joy."

         In-Ho nodded at him, and then he looked at me. I let my eyes remain trained upwards at his mask's eyeholes, and I felt as though I really was looking through the windows of his soul though I could not see an inch of his physical humanity. I felt as though some sort of superpower or telepathy allowed me to know what he was feeling or, more often, sense what he was feeling, as long as I was in touch. I wonder if he could feel it too.

          "Now that everyone is here," Il-Nam started. "Let us eat."

         ...

           Dinner went by close to flawlessly in the first half. Sure, I was more antisocial than I usually was today, but I managed to thaw out a little bit as time progressed. I gradually slipped into the comfort of familiar company. The aged, expensive wine also helped me to loosen up in a more physical than mental way. I almost felt not myself. I was talking with ease, never once thinking again about what was coming out of my mouth. No shame was present, and it felt as if every mental barrier keeping me from being completely and utterly carefree was slowly crumbling down. I didn't like it very much, but I could not reverse it, and I felt as though I couldn't bring it up to anybody.

         Almost three quarters of the way into dinner, everybody was finished with their food. All that was left to do was socialize and drink. I only indulged a few times, but everybody else had gotten at least two refills, so I was the odd one out.

       "Y/N," the Salesman, he insisted I only refer to him as that, called. My name didn't sound right coming from him. "You've barely touched your wine. Do you not drink very much?"

        "I drink on special occasions," I replied.

        "Well, this is a special occasion, isn't it?" He questioned. "Come on, drink up."

         I didn't feel very safe at that moment. It was off to me how he would focus on my liquid intake at a time like this. What was so important for me to drink alcohol, and why did it matter so much to him if I wasn't drinking like an addict?

          Remember when I said that I didn't think before acting? Well I didn't. Without considering the consequences, I drank about two mouthfuls of the wine for the sole reason of wanting the attention off of myself and without making a big deal out of nothing. Almost five seconds after the bottom of my drink hit the table again, I felt somebody touching my knee very gently under the table. I looked to my left, and In-Ho was looking at me. He had his mask off now, obviously, and he leaned in a fraction closer to me and whispered, "slow down". He had seen me at my drunkest before, and I did not want to relive the experience of being a lightweight. I couldn't take much alcohol, not as much as people who drink it often and build up an immunity (everyone here) can.

        When dinner was practically wrapping up, something very unexpected occurred. I thought I was imagining it for a second, but the fact became very real that I had a hand on my right thigh. It was not mine, of course. I thought it was the amount of drink I had consumed that was causing me to feel things that weren't there, but it was very much there. I looked down subtly to see what it was, though I knew. It was the Salesman's hand on me. Looking at him out of my peripheral vision, I could see that he was giving no indication at all that anything was happening under the table. He was just smiling and nodding along to what Il-Nam was saying. I was highly uncomfortable, and I wanted him to stop, but what could I do? I didn't know.

        Thankfully, 30 seconds after it started, Il-Nam stood to signal that the he was calling it a night. In-Ho also stood, so I took the opportunity, and I stood up very quickly. The unwanted hand fell off of me, of course, but the owner of it also rose. I avoided eye contact with everyone, just looking down at my gloves. In-Ho got a bit closer to me, I didn't know why, and almost protectively hovered close. The Salesman looked like he was about to open his mouth to say something, but In-Ho beat him to it.

        "If you'll please excuse us both, I think we should head back to our rooms now."

        Il-Nam nodded in understanding and beamed as he bid us a goodnight while In-Ho snapped his mask on. The Salesman did not look happy. He looked at though he wanted to appear professional, but he was caught off guard for a moment and didn't. I said a quick goodbye and practically tripped over myself just trying to turn to follow In-Ho through the door.

        Original Publish Date: August 24, 2023