Part 53:

(⚠️Warning. Same triggers as the last few chapters.)

(Y/N's POV)

I cannot believe what he's telling me. I can't. Why would he even want to do that to me? Why? Was there something I did? Did he disapprove of me running this?

"Why would he... do that to me?" I asked.

He exhaled and put his hands together, leaning into his knees.

"I don't know, and he won't live long enough to tell me."

I stared at him, trying to see if he was serious or not. He looked like he was. His eyes were peering into mine, and he had a glint of something that I had never seen before. It could be pure bloodlust.

       "Don't do it."

        I challenged him by keeping his gaze and not looking away, blinking as few times as possible. He did not back down either, and we kept staring at each other for a while. We're both too stubborn to give it.

        "How will Il-Nam feel if you kill our recruiter?" I asked rhetorically.

       He seemed to ignore the question, but I could tell he thought of that. At the very least, I delayed his killing. There's a close to zero chance that we would never find another soul willing to do the Salesman's job, but I was positive that In-Ho didn't have another person in line at this second, meaning that no deaths would be happening for at least today.

       In-Ho groaned, and he broke the stare. I looked off, feeling victorious, and then I started wondering what would happen today. Sure, I would oversee the games with In-Ho, but would I do this from the comfort of my bed? Would they actually let me get up? I'm sure they wouldn't, and if they don't, I'll do everything in my power to, first, act as sweet as possible, and two, if I don't get my way, I'll annoy the hell out of them. I know that I'll be fine by breakfast at the latest, so the games are no problem.

"In-Ho?"

"Hm?"

"Can I get out of be-"

"No."

"Okay."

That was definitely not the end of it tho. I repeated his name, said "letmegetoutofbed letmegetoutofbed" etc, but he didn't want to hear it.

"Y/N, for the HUNDREDTH TIME, NO," he groaned, putting his face in his hands.

"But I'm fine! I'm sure I can walk and do everything I normally do. Please?"

"Y/N. Dr Ahn said you need to rest."

"But he also never said that you could keep me in here forever! If he didn't think I'd be okay in time to do my job, then he would have said so."

He seemed to consider that, trying to remember a time that he said something that could contradict me, but he came up short. He still shook his head with a "no".

"Well how about a compromise?" I was desperate. I wanted to run my games. They had Yk be perfect or nobody in this facility would take me seriously or think I was qualified. "What if I'm in a wheelchair for the day? They should have one here."

"And what would that do?"

"I would still be resting, and I can oversee my games. I can also get big arms like Popeye with all the rolling I'm gonna do."

"Who the hell even is that?"

"You don't know who Popeye is? Oh wait, I forgot that Koreans probably don't have that icon. Sorry. Just some sailor guy who eats spinach and has the thickest biceps, triceps, probably some damn quadro-ceps, you've ever seen."