Chapter Eighteen

Hi Readers: What do you guys think of the idea of them rotating between staying in the RV and staying in a hotel every other night? I think I like that idea, but I want to hear from you guys either through message or comments. Let me know. Thanks again for reading, and please don't forget to vote on the chapters that you love; and let me know. Now, let's get back to the story and Chapter Eighteen of their road trip across America, which is much more exciting.
XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chapter Eighteen: Future Chief Casey and Moving to Puerto Rico

They ended up making a quick pit stop to get some snacks, and to top up the gas tank, in between Matt proposing that they stay in a hotel every other night; and them deciding to talk more about said proposal. And that was exactly what they were in the midst of doing. While Matt stood outside at the gas pump, Gabby was inside the gas station store getting them some more snacks (and a quick meal that they can make while they drive). But that was not what Matt was thinking about while he was topping up the RV right now. Rather, he was both holding the gas pump and reading an e-mail; an e-mail that he just got from the brass at the CFD, and Chief Boden about something that they were in the midst of negotiating until he left. But, they didn't get a chance to get back to him; so, he really appreciates that they got back to him as soon as possible. And that was especially the case due to the fact that the e-mail was really good, and it was exactly what he wanted to see.

What he was seeing was the financing that he and Gabby need for their trip being approved, which was perfect. But, how can a simple email from the CFD also mean that their trip was now funded (other than by their personal finances); oh, and the fact that they were also renting out their home as an Airbnb (which they just got their first reservation for). But back to the thing that Matt, the CFD, and Chief Boden were negotiating over the past week; the thing that he hadn't hear back from them about, at least until now. Right now, the e-mail where the brass telling him that he's now on paid lead from the CFD for the rest of their trip. But, how in the world is that the case might you ask? Well, here's the thing...he just got the results from said negotiation that was just mentioned; and his proposal was approved, which was exactly what he needed to hear due to the fact that he was a bit nervous over whether they were going to have to cut this trip short due for finances.

But that was not going to be the case, as finances were no longer going to be a problem; in fact, they are now (with the Airbnb that they are doing at their home) able to stay at a hotel each and every night if they want to, that's how much money is going to be coming into their joint-bank account from this day forward. And the reason for that is actually something that he and Gabby are going to celebrate tonight; they are going to celebrate the fact that Matt is now on track to become a certified Battalion Chief in the Chicago Fire Department. God, he still loves this line from the e-mail. "Matthew Casey, after careful consideration...the Office of the Commissioner is proud to offer you the opportunity to join the Chicago Fire Department's Future Battalion Chief Educational Program. And per the negotiations that we had prior to you leaving on your trip, we have agreed that you will be getting paid to complete this program while you are on your trip with your wife."

And that just made him smile, the fact that the proposal was approved. Now, especially the fact that the approval came with financial assistance; god, he loves the end of the e-mail too. No more hiding where he really is from the CFD. "Per the terms negotiated prior to you leaving on your leave of absence, please remember that...one of the conditions of your paid leave of absence for education purposes was that you are required to study and complete the course of study that will be provided to you in your online account so that you can learn how to become a Battalion Chief. The assignments are, per the terms of the agreement, to be submitted on time with no exceptions other than bad connection and/or a medical exception for you and/or your wife. Please enjoy your trip, and welcome to the Future Battalion Chief Educational Program. -Chicago Fire Commissioner Carl Grissom". God, this truly was a dream come true; and it was exactly what he wanted to hear.