53 : Ms. Son

—— Chaeyoung's POV ——

"Hey, Dad. Good morning!" I happily greet my father who is sitting by the couch in their living room. "Umm... Have you seen my phone?"

He didn't give me that morning face I was accustomed to. Instead, he replies to me with a blank expression. "Where are you going dressed like that?"

"What are you saying?" I loudly chuckle. I know this is just one of his pranks. He will soon burst into laughter when I start giving in to his act. "It's Monday today, right? Come on, dad. I have classes. I'm going back to school."

He exhales sharply, still holding on to his unusual tone. "So they haven't emailed you yet?"

"Huh?" I scrunch my eyebrows at him, absolutely lost with what he is talking about. I slowly walk to sit on the couch adjacent to where he currently is. "What email are you talking about?"

"Change into something casual." My father waves his hand like some kind of dictator I don't recognize. "I'm discussing an important matter with you."

"What is it? And why do you sound so serious?" Now, I'm starting to be nervous. This prank is taking way too long to crack up. He never approached me like this. Giving in to my doubts, I widely grin at him and try to cheer up the atmosphere. "Come on, dad. It's just seven in the morning! Lighten up a little! Wrinkles might catch up to you if you stay like that, dad."

However, the head of our house did not budge with his attitude. He just stares at me silently with the same frightening expression that I never had a glimpse of in my life.

I then let out a sigh. I think he is attempting to make some kind of point. "Dad, I skipped a month already. You don't want your only daughter to be a dropout, don't you? I'm going to school. But before that, have you seen my phone?"

"I already told your school that you will be transferring out."

"Huh? Wait— What—" I abruptly stood up from my seat in shock. What the hell is my father talking about?

He raises an eyebrow at me. "Why are you looking at me like that? Sit back down. We need to talk."

"DAD. I—" I slowly sit back down on the couch. This is not funny to me anymore. "I don't recall that we ever talked about me transferring or me agreeing to any sort of changing schools."

"Doesn't matter. It's already done." He casually leans at the couch's backrest like what he is currently proclaiming are unnecessary things. "And don't look for your phone. I already disposed it."

"What— Dad! What are you talking about? Is this some kind of joke." I began to awkwardly chuckle. I don't want to believe that everything he is saying is true. He is just not making any sense. "Okay, okay. You win. Stop this prank right now. Where's the hidden camera, huh? Tell me."

He moves on his seat to take the envelope that is in the coffee table in the center of our seats. "We're talking about your future."

"Dad, I don't understand what is happening here."

"Here." He takes out a couple of papers that are bound together in a clear folder and slides it in the table's side that is closer to me. His face is devoid of every emotion I previously knew he never holds back in expressing. "Take a look at those."

"What—" I gulp as I slowly pick up the folder to scan the papers in it. "What... in the world is this?"

"It's a merger. It will ensure that you will have a good future."