21 : Truce

"WAIT." Mina immediately asks as soon as Tzuyu is out of the room. It is now just her and Chaeyoung inside, still sitting side by side on the bed. "What just happened?"

The soccer ace opens her mouth in an attempt to say something. But then, she just ended up closing it again.

"Hey— Son Chaeyoung. Please, tell me." Mina gently holds the smaller girl's arm and looks at her with sincerity. "I was listening to you and Sana argue earlier and in my head, your conversation just didn't add up logically. I mean— With Sana saying that you think she's some kind of tool to get you out of this situation and— and with you stating that Sana's benefitting from all of this because she can have Tzuyu all for herself. Your sentences just didn't make sense with the knowledge I currently have."

"Minari..." Chaeyoung exhales deeply. She takes a moment to pause, then heaves in a deep breath before finally talking. "Earlier... Sana and I weren't actually bickering about Tzuyu and my fixed marriage."

"I knew it! So— Wait. NO." Mina's eyes slowly widened in realization. "What— Really? Don't tell me..."

"Yeah." Chaeyoung nods without amusement. "I know you're smart. So, yeah. I believe whatever theory you're thinking right now is—"

"So that is what the deal is about?" Mina immediately asks. "That was the plan that Mrs. Son was talking about in her letter?"

"The truth is... Mr. Chou has been mocking Tzuyu's efforts to reunite with Sana all this time. He always thought that it was ridiculous for a girl who is as precious as Tzuyu to be so devoted in what he calls a 'delusional, hopeless puppy love'. So Tzuyu got enough of it and—"

Mina butts in to excitingly throw her inference of the scenario. "So Tzuyu got enough of it and finally proposed a deal on a whim. That if she could find her 'delusional, hopeless puppy love', make her crazily fall in love with her, and eventually marry her for good, Mr. Chou should call this arranged marriage with Mr. Son off. Is that what the business deal that I was dying to know was all about?!"

"Yes, yes. Exactly, Minari." Chaeyoung lethargically nods again. "You're right. Mr. Chou agreed to it on the condition that Tzuyu has to be obedient with her in terms of their family business regime. Tzuyu is actually not interested also in inheriting Mr. Chou's company so maybe that's why he took the deal at the drop of a hat. It's all a win-win for him if Tzuyu would never get to be with Sana. All his issues with her only biological daughter would be solved."

"I see." Mina scrunches her eyebrows and stares at the room's far ceiling for a moment. "So that makes sense now."

"Huh? What makes sense?"

"That my best friend got all worked up when Tzuyu talked to her about this deal."

"Hu— HUH?" Chaeyoung scoffs. "So you're siding with Sana on this?"

"What—" Mina abruptly scrunches her eyebrows. "Chaeng, that's not—"

"That's not what?"

"Wow." The council president wears an annoyed look. "Are you upset with my reaction? I can't believe how you're acting right now, Son Chaeyoung. Are you even hearing yourself?"

Chaeyoung furiously shakes her head. "I can't believe you're siding with her."

"This is not about taking sides!" Mina's voice is now starting to raise. "How immature can you be?"

"Me?" The soccer ace scoffs. "Really? I'm the immature one now, huh? How am I the one who's out of line here?"

"What—"

"The deal is perfect!" Chaeyoung suddenly started yelling. "It was perfectly drafted by my mom! All Sana has to do is say yes to Tzuyu's proposal and that's it! We're all out of this mess that we're in. As easy as that. What's there to think? What's there to say no?"