68 : Need

—— Mina's POV ——

Chaeng and I are at one side of the hallway near Mr. Son's room. Tzuyu left about a minute ago with Nayeon and Jeongyeon, saying that they will be back tomorrow morning to bring us breakfast.

"Umm..." I looked down and began to fiddle with my fingers. "About the thing that happened at your hou—"

"Yeah." She cuts me in with a cold tone. "What was your explanation about not telling me things again?"

"You— you know that you won't let me do it if I told you—"

"OF COURSE!" I flinched at her sudden raise of voice. I don't think I can easily get away with this. "Why in the world would I let you talk to my dad alone?!"

I was about to reach out for her hand but she quickly hides hers to her side. "DON'T TOUCH ME."

What?

"Chae—"

"I— I can't think straight when I feel your hold on me."

I let my hand plop back to my side as I let out a sigh. "You know that I did everything for you, right? For us."

"Us?" She lightly scoffs at me. "Minari. How would you define 'us' right now, huh?"

What's with the sudden change of behavior? We were fine just a moment ago when we were at the cafeteria with the other girls. Was that all for show?

"Chaeng. Calm down first. I know that your emotions are all high at the moment but we can't properly talk if you counter every—"

"If you understand the word 'us', then you shouldn't have let me out in the dark!"

"I— Chaeng, I—"

I was just following your mom's wishes.

She scrunches her eyebrows at me. "What?"

"I—" Talking to her like this is never going to work. I purse my lips and exhale helplessly. Is this me losing this argument? "I know that what I did was wrong. I understand that I hurt you by making everything a secret to you. I already told you everything about the plan, about what happened with your dad earlier, about how Sana and Tzuyu got involved. What else do you want to hear from me? Should I beg for your understanding? Should I plead for you to forgive me? Tell me."

"So—" She looks down to the floor, hesitates to continue for a second, then meekly asks. "Where are we at?"

Huh?

"Baby cub..." What is she saying? "Sorry. I'm not sure what—"

This little girl pops her head to look at me with an annoyed face. "Where is 'us', Minari? I want to know where we are!"

I don't know exactly why but I think she is bringing up a totally unrelated topic.

She is, isn't she?

"Forget it." Chaeng suddenly turns her back on me and clicks her tongue.

Wow. Not even a minute has passed before I respond and her patience has already worn off?

I roll my eyes since she can't see me anyway. "Hey, Chaeng. Turn around and look at me."

"What for?" She even crosses her arms in front of her like a certified brat. "It's not like you're giving me an answer anyway."

UGH. How could I be so in love with this stubborn girl?

Since she has her back on me, I take a step and gently hold each of Chaeng's upper arms in a sneak attack. I felt her body tense at the first second. When I did not feel her pushing me away, I slowly let my hands slide to her elbows, then to her hand as I put my chin over her shoulder. I giggle a bit seeing that she is instantly turning red while I back hug and stare at her.