17

It isn't long before the plane begins to take off. Our pilot makes a short announcement to let us know we are about to leave the runway and our rough flight time estimate. 

Only two hours and fifty-seven minutes until I can sprint out of this plane and hopefully wipe this entire seating arrangement from my memory.

We turn onto the runway and begin to catch some speed. I peer over to Olivia, who is now holding the hand of a nervous-looking Lily in preparation for take-off. I can hear her and Noah giving Lily words of encouragement as we rapidly speed up and leave the ground. 

As the plane begins to rise higher, I shut my eyes closed tight and grip the sides of my armrests firmly until my knuckles turn white.

Even though I've flown hundreds of times by now, it never gets any easier. Once we get in the air and level out I'm always fine, but taking off and landing is a doozy.

I take in a few deep breaths, my eyes still shut as I feel the plane turn sharply to the right, sending my legs into Blake's and Abby's into mine. I don't care at this point and remain visionless in my seat, clenching my teeth together. My stomach drops uncomfortably, making me feel a bit sick now.

All of a sudden, I feel a light tap on my hand, making me flinch in surprise. I force my eyes open to look at the culprit. 

"Not a fan of flying?" Blake whispers to me, it being the first thing he's said to me since Abby sat down next to us. 

None of us have spoken actually. 

I shake my head, fighting the urge to close my eyes again.

"Me neither," he mutters, looking slightly uncomfortable, but not nearly as bad as me.

I turn the music up on my phone, blasting Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls in my headphones in an attempt to distract me from the movement of the plane.

I take one headphone out when I see Blake looking at me again, his expression curious.

"What are you listening to? I can hear it a little bit through your headphones."

"Iris."

He shrugs. "Never heard of it."

"It's a great song, I'm surprised you've never heard it. If you want to put in my other headphone to listen, feel free," I suggest kindly. 

When he simply turns away, I realize that he isn't going to take me up on my offer. My cheeks suddenly heat up in embarrassment at his subtle rejection, I don't know why I even bothered. 

I put my other headphone back in but the petty side of me lowers the volume substantially so he can't hear it anymore through my headphones.

Luckily, after a few minutes, the plane started to balance out and the sick feeling in my stomach dissipates.

It isn't before long our silence is interrupted again, but this time by Abby. I can hear the annoying shrill of her voice even through my music.

"So Blake," she begins confidently, leaning a bit into my personal space in an attempt to get closer to him.

I scrunch my nose at her overpowering and cheap-smelling perfume that has found its way into my nostrils at our close proximity. At the same time, I notice Blake putting his sunglasses hastily back on his face.

She brings her hands up to her dark hair to ruffle it. "Are you ready for the first away game tomorrow?"

"Mhm.." Blake quietly hums, not bothering to look away from the window.  

Clearly not catching the hint, Abby continues. 

"I bet you're gonna do so good. Feel free to meet up with me after the big win, if you want. I can give you your own special form of celebration," she purrs, winking in his direction, even though he still isn't looking at her.