69

*Blake*

"I'm freaking the fuck out, man. Olivia and my parents are blowing my phone up asking where we went and where Elena is. What should I tell them?" Noah pants, his hands shaking as types away on his phone.

"No use in worrying them before we know what's happening, just tell them there was an emergency and we had to leave," I mutter, carefully maneuvering through traffic with Officer Ramirez and James in front of us. His police lights are giving us an escort to help us get to the barn as quickly as possible, given that Lucas gave us a time limit.  

We have around 15 minutes before we're due to reach it and Ramirez will turn off his lights a few minutes before. We need all the backup we can get without alerting Lucas to our approach, and even if it's just one tinted, bulletproof car with a police officer and James in it, it's better than nothing. 

Every time I turn the wheel or press my foot to the gas, anxiety burns in my veins like acid. But I force my eyes forward, focusing on the road ahead, knowing that I can't afford to let fear consume me now, not when Elena's life hangs in the balance.

I would drive to the end of the earth if that's what it took to get her back— this hour-long drive is nothing. My love and worry for her fuel me, pushing aside the waves of panic that threaten to drown me. Nothing will stand in the way of me reaching that red barn to find her.

Despite trying to stay strong and thinking about all the ways to save Elena in any scenario that might occur, I can't help the tears that fall. I try to cry silently, but the tears keep coming, uncontrollable.

I'm completely and utterly terrified. And I can't hide it. 

I glance over at Noah, and he is beginning to tear up too, his lip trembling as he runs his fingers through his hair. "Blake... is this real life right now? How can this be happening to our girl?"

I shake my head. "I don't know, I really don't..."

Despite my usual closed-off demeanor, Noah is my anchor right now— the only thing keeping me from completely losing it. I glance at my best friend, a person who has been there through thick and thin, a constant presence in my life.

"Thank you, Noah," I choke. "Thank you for coming with me and being there for me and Elena all these years. I don't say it enough, but you've been there for me longer than anybody else ever has."

Noah flashes an attempt at a small smile. "You don't have to thank me, Blake. You and Elena mean everything to me. We're not just friends, we're family."

"I know. But if something goes wrong tonight, I need you to know how much you mean to me," I reply, swallowing the lump in my throat. "I never said it, but I love you, man."

Noah nods, wiping a tear that found its way down his cheek. "Don't talk like that. We're gonna be fine and we're gonna make sure Elena is safe. And I love you too, brother. I'd do anything for Elena, for both of you."

Our words hang heavy in the air, and for a moment, we're both silent, the truck's engine and Julian's police siren the only sound breaking the stillness.

Thoughts of Elena flood my mind like a torrential downpour. Her smile, like the sun breaking through the clouds, has always been my safe haven. The way her thumb rubs against the back of my hand when she holds it— the way she has seen the darkest parts of my soul yet still loves me.

I wipe away more tears with a trembling hand. "I can't lose her, Noah," I choke. "I can't even bear the thought of losing her."

Noah reaches across the center console and squeezes my arm. "We won't lose her. She's a fighter. And if it comes down to it, I'll stand right by your side to protect her, no matter what."