25

When Blake sits down next to me, I shoot Olivia a small shrug in response to her confused look.

I swear I see a small smile curl at the edge of her lips before she sits down next to Noah in the row over.

"How are you feeling Blake? Ready for the game?" Noah turns toward the aisle to ask him.

Blake takes a deep breath. "I think so. It's nerve-wracking to go against last year's National Champions though."

I remember last year's game so vividly. We were one game away from making it to the National Championship. We were actually playing Wisconsin then too, and they went on to win it all a week later.

The score was tied with 20 seconds left in the last quarter. Since we weren't in field goal range to give us 3 points, Blake had to do a handoff play to Lucas. Once it was handed off to him, Lucas successfully ran for almost 50 yards while the crowd went absolutely wild, thinking we were about to win it all. 

Unforutanly, he was tackled right before he crossed the endzone line. Before his knees touched the ground though, which would consider him down and the ball dead, the ball fell out of his hands, making it a live ball. A defender from the other team swiped it right up and ran the full 100 yards in the opposite direction for a touchdown, winning them the game. 

Since his body ended up landing in the endzone after the tackle, if he just held onto the ball, we would've won the entire thing. 

Lucas tried to scream on the field to the referees saying he was down so the turnover didn't count, but it was clear on the replay footage that he wasn't. All the fans from Wisconsin in the crowd immediately stormed onto the field after the commentator officially announced their win. 

I don't know if Lucas has really been the same since that day. Every guy on the team gave him so much shit for weeks after, he was known on campus as the guy who lost us our shot at the championship. I tried to help him through it, but he wouldn't talk to me for days. 

"True, but you and I are gonna take it this year. Ryan Stillwell's arm hasn't got anything on yours. After January 8th, we're gonna be known as National Champions for the rest of our lives," Noah replies dreamily, looking out the window as if he can see it now.

"I can't believe there are only 4 months left of our college football career," Blake replies and rubs his hands on his pants, the subtle action implying that he's nervous.

"I know, let's make it the best ride possible man," Noah smiles, giving him a little fist bump.

I can't help but notice that Blake seems to be in a better mood than I've seen in a long time. It's like he has this newfound light in his life, it's as if he discovered something that is worth smiling for. 

"You're my light."

Blake's distant voice rings through my memory again before I can stop it. 

Is that what he meant by that? Assuming that my memory is right, that's the only conclusion I can come to.

I need to try not to think about it anymore though, it's important to be focused on the game and my squad today.

The next few minutes of the trip are spent in comfortable silence, all of us unusually nervous about the game. Even though it's only our second out of the season, Wisconsin is the toughest team in our division.

We soon pull up to the back entrance of the stadium. Even though most fans haven't arrived yet, we still go in through the back to avoid any issues. Somehow the paparazzi always manage to find their way back there though.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I take it out to see that I have two texts, one from Lucas from an hour ago and one from the same unknown number from this morning that texted just now.