43

*Elena*

The bangs against my front door only grow louder, desperation shining through at the rapid pace of them.

Startled by the sudden urgency, I reach over to my nightstand and check the time on my phone, only for it to die in my hands before I can read it.

I scramble out of bed, running over to my front door in fear it is about to be broken open.

Although my heart is now beating rapidly in my chest, there isn't a drop of fear running through me, only worry.

Somehow, I know it's him.

In a flurry of movement, I switch on the lights and approach the door, my hand trembling as I reach for the handle to open it.

My eyes immediately widen when I look up into his panic-stricken face and I feel my heart shatter at Blake's appearance.

His cheeks are pale and hollow, his right hand smeared with blood along with his heaving bare chest, and his drenched hair clings to his forehead.

Blake's deteriorating condition is evident from the clear outline of his ribs against his blood-soaked skin, them protruding violently with every rapid breath he takes.

Pure confusion and worry flood my mind, wondering what could have happened tonight that caused him to show up on my doorstep in the middle of the night.

While his recent treatment of me still hurts and there is no excuse for these past two weeks, all I am concerned with right now is helping him.

Nothing in our past could ever drown out the overwhelming need I have to comfort him at this moment.

"I didn't know where else to go"

Blake's shakey voice comes out in a tremble, but nowhere near as bad as his body.

It's pouring out and his bare chest is covered in splatters of blood and water droplets. Coupled with shivering from the rain and shaking in panic, his entire body looks to be vibrating.

I can't help but notice his lack of shoes in addition to a shirt, leaving his feet exposed to the cold, wet ground. It's a painful reminder of his current vulnerability, both physically and emotionally.

The green eyes I have come to love so much look beyond broken and I can't begin to understand what is happening right now. There is an essence of true exhaustion behind them; like Blake has simply reached his breaking point and is giving up.

I turn my gaze towards the driveway, searching for any sign of his bike, but find only rain-soaked puddles forming in its absence. It's hard to believe he could've walked here in this condition, especially without any shoes.

I clear my throat, my voice laced with genuine concern. "Blake... what's happening? You need to come inside and get out of the rain."

Blake simply stares into my eyes, his chest heaving in desperate gasps. I can only imagine the burning pain that grips his lungs.

Suddenly, Blake lunges forward and pulls me into a hug so tight I can barely draw breath.

A whimper of what seems to be relief leaves his throat as he tangles our limbs together. I immediately feel a wave of warmth wash over me to combat the freezing rain, and I step back a few feet to bring us into the entryway of my house.

His wet body soaks my clothes instantly, but I only hug him back tighter. He wraps his long arms around me and buries his head in my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry Elena... I'm so fucking sorry for everything," he sobs, his voice so muffled and broken I can barely understand him through the booming thunder.