77

"Ouch, Olivia. That hurts!" I exclaim as she digs a pin directly into my head. I attempt to swat her hands away only to be met with a few playful slaps in retaliation.

She chuckles. "Stop being so dramatic, El. We've gone through this every time we've practiced your hair for today."

I glance up at Olivia and shoot her a glare, but it quickly dissolves into a smile as I see her grinning back at me.

My heart flutters with a mixture of nervousness and excitement as soft chatter fills the room around me. Olivia fastens a pearl necklace around my neck, letting the reality of today finally sink in.

"Are you ready?" Olivia asks with her hand on my shoulders, giving me her best smile through the mirror. 

I take a deep breath, my fingers trembling slightly as I adjust the edge of my lace veil. "Yes, but I feel so nervous, I just... I can't believe the day is finally here." 

Apparently, being engaged for 12 months is actually on the shorter side. I wanted to get married a month after Blake proposed, but he insisted I'd regret it if we didn't have enough time to plan my dream wedding, and he was right. I want today to be perfect, and so far, it is.

Lily, in a beautiful lavender dress and perched on a nearby chair, grins up at me. "Aunt Elena, you look like a princess!"

I smile at her. "Thank you, Lil. You look like a little princess too."

I see my mother appear in the mirror behind me, a tear glistening in her eye as she looks me up and down. "Elena, my baby girl, you're all grown up."

I reach out and take her hand, squeezing it gently. "I'll always be your baby, Mom."

The room is filled with a blend of emotions— happiness, nostalgia, and a touch of bittersweetness. It's a reminder that this day marks a significant turning point in my life. I'm about to embark on a new journey with the love of my life.

I get up from my chair and stand in front of the mirror, seeing my full body for the first time. My breath catches as I take in the sight before me. My white dress— made of expensive materials of lace and tulle—drapes over my frame, the intricate details catching the light perfectly. It's a delicate balance of elegance and whimsy, and it fits like a dream. Olivia cried when I came out of the dressing room wearing it a few months ago, and we instantly knew it was the one. 

A professional makeup artist worked on my face for hours this morning, enhancing my features without overpowering them. My gray eyes shimmer with a soft, golden glow, and my lips carry a hint of rosy color that complements the flush in my cheeks. My hair is in an updo with probably over a hundred bobby pins in it, but I can't complain, it looks beautiful. 

After a few more clicks from the photographer's cameras, I turn to Olivia. "Thank you for being here with me, Liv. I couldn't imagine getting ready for the biggest day of my life without you by my side."

Olivia smiles. "El, you're my best friend. With you is the only place I want to be today. Plus, if you decided to choose someone else for your maid of honor, I probably would've killed them."

I chuckle, rolling my eyes as I face everyone in the room, giving them all hugs as I prepare to make my exit. As the moments in the room wind down, Olivia's mom and my mom leave with warm smiles and well wishes. I take a deep breath, trying to calm the fluttering butterflies in my stomach. Lily takes my hand, her small fingers interlocking with mine, and Olivia follows suit. Together, we step outside, the gentle breeze outside ruffling my hair as my heart races with excitement.

Just outside the door stands my father. His eyes light up as they meet mine, seeing me in my dress for the first time. He extends his arm to me and I loop mine through his.