Chapter 36

"Happy New Years beautiful!" I heard as Calum yelled through the noise. In the background was fireworks going off, all sorts of different colors.

"I wish I was there. Happy New Years to you too handsome." I smile. Damn, I miss him so much, it hurts.

"I miss you, but I'll see you in a few days." He grins. "Well I just wanted to be the first to wish you a Happy New Year, I have to go now. My mom is calling me." He waves.

I begin to wave. "You definitely were, I'll see you soon." And with that, our FaceTiming of 5 minutes is over.

I trace my fingers across my lock screen. It was a picture of Calum and I with our cotton candy and he's smiling.

I was missing him so much that it hurts. I couldn't wait until he was back in the states.

I don't exactly what I would label our relationship as, I guess you could say were dating but not official.

My thoughts are cut of as my dad calls me from downstairs. "Em, squirt, we need to get going in 20 minutes! The Irwin's are waiting."

Oh crap, that's right. We we're going out on a boat to celebrate the New Year with the Irwin's.

I throw on a light off the shoulder dress, and pair it with nice sandals. I hope I wasn't under dressed for the occasion.

I take my long locks out of it's braid, and run my fingers through it. I do my usual makeup routine, and grab my bag.

As we step out of our house, we see an  Escalade. There was a middle aged man waiting for us outside. I was assuming he was Ashton's father? Well I don't think they would want to be see with a 2012 BMW.

"Well damn, what else do they have? A golden toilet?" Max whispers.

"Shit, right?" I nudge his shoulder. I couldn't agree with him anymore.

"Hello, you must me Max, and Emily. Pleasure to meet you guys. I'm Ashton's father." He was a well dress man, I assumed he had a good paying job. By the looks of him, and his car, oh and his boat.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Irwin." I say, as Max shakes his hand.

We get into the car, and it's about a 35 minute ride. Mr. Irwin said the others were already preparing.

Max and I agree on sticking together because we knew we would run into some awkward encounters.

As we step onto the boat, I ask Mr. Irwin if there's a bathroom. He tells me about 45 seconds worth of directions, and I just nod. I'll find it.. hopefully.

I quickly run down the stairs. I swear I hear someone call my name so being the idiot I am, I turn around and nearly skip a step. I feel muscular arms wrap around my waist. I look up, and see it's Ashton.

He helps me get on my feet. "I see your not good with boats or stairs." Ashton chuckles.

I wrinkle my nose. "Not great, but I try. Could you show me where the bathroom is?"

"Yeah follow me." He begins to walk down the hall and I follow behind him.

"First door on the left." He smiles. I thank him and I clean myself up.

Max kept making lame jokes and I couldn't help but laugh. I caught Ashton make eye contact a few times. He's cute but my eyes are set on Calum.

It was 6pm, and the sunset was minutes away from dissapearing. The boat was a pretty good size so many of us were separate into our own areas.

The fireworks began to shoot up in the air and I feel like a little kid getting excited.
Immediately I go through my contacts, and click on Calums.

I press the FaceTime button, and patiently wait for him to answer. Sadly, he doesn't pick up and I don't want to miss the fireworks.

Happy New Years squirt!" I hear my dad cheer.

"Happy New Years dad!" I side hug him and as I continue to enjoy the amazing view.

"Happy New Years to the best people in the world!" I hear Max come up from behind.

As the fireworks die out, I try and FaceTime Calum again but still no answer. So I decide to just send him a text message.

You didn't answer my FaceTime, but I just wanted to wish you a Happy New Years from me. 😊🎉

"Happy New Years!" Ashton cheers, closing the door from the inside of the ship.

"Happy New Years to you too." I half smile. I was stilled bummed out about the fact Calum didn't answer but it's okay.

I turn my attention on the open sea in front of me. I admire the scenery in front of me, it was beautiful The moon light shinning effortless on the ocean horizon. "It's nice out here, very peaceful."

"You're not really familiar with the city, are you?" He raises an eyebrow at me.

I snort. "Of course I am." I gesture behind me. "I'm looking at it right now."

He faces towards the ocean. "The world is a beautiful place. There are so many amazing things out there waiting to be discovered."

I study Ashton for a moment; his green iries that meet my blue ones, his ruffled dirty blonde hair, and his sun-kissed skin.

"Mhmm." I hum.

"So when will I see you again?" he asks.

I pause for a moment as I didn't know the answer to that question. "Soon."
--------------
i know, i know. ashton doesn't really know his father in rl or whatever but in this fanfic he does. so i don't wanna hear it lol. But he plays a big part in this fanfic you all will see why...