•Chapter 33• Little Chat

Megan tucks a strand of hair behind her ear as she lifts her chin. The three boys were arguing with one another. She couldn't make up what they were saying. She was too zoned out for that. "You alright?" Jade asks her. She turns to the girl and nodded. Jade briefly glanced at her brothers before shifting back to Megan. "I'm just thinking about my dad." Megan sighed. Jade nodded slowly. "I understand. This is all very overwhelming." Jade started. "I just don't understand why you would help my dad. After everything that has happened, even if you've changed, I think you'd still want him dead." Megan cut her off. Jade shrugs as she looks at her. "I just don't want anyone else to get hurt. I could've prevented so much if I hadn't gone off on some... revenge spree, I guess?" She explained, "I guess I'm trying to do better." She added. "Well, you've already made a lot of progress. You're not pointing guns at people's heads anymore." She chuckles awkwardly. Jade joins in on her awkward laugh and scratches her temple. "Uh, yeah. I kinda hoped that wasn't gonna come up again." She replied. "You're improving." Megan smiles at her. The two laugh awkwardly. "Can I ask you a genuine question?" Megan asks her. Jade nodded slowly. Megan stands up straight and folds her arms over her chest. "What made you do it? You were so safe? Why would you risk all of that?" She questions. Jade briefly traveled back to that time. The time when she was lonely. Her brothers abandoned her and her dad didn't care much for her. He was very distant.

"Have you ever felt like you weren't worth anything? And not during a school project or anything. I mean, you're there but you have no purpose." Jade asks her. Megan shakes her head silently. "Well, that's what happened, basically. Everyone had a purpose except for me. Well, I had one, but it's not like my brothers." Jade tells her. "What?" Megan furrows her eyebrows, not fully understanding what she meant. She had an idea of what she meant. But she couldn't really feel anything by it. Jade points at her oldest brother. "Jayden's the most like him. And so he is his prize possession. His first and the perfect replacement." She tells the girl, "Jack's the strong one, obviously. The tallest and strongest and easy to manipulate. And Jerry had the brains. The perfect devil in disguise. They're the perfect trio my father had to do his dirty work if necessary." She continued. Megan looks at her. "And you didn't fit in that image." She says sadly. Deep down she was starting to feel bad for the girl. "Not really, no. I was there to take care of my dad as my mom did. I am her replacement in a way." She explained. "That's horrible," Megan replied. "I guess he just wanted to keep me safe. He'd already lost my mother, he didn't want to lose me either." Jade filled in.

"I think I tried so badly to prove myself to him that I lost it. I was willing to get rid of my brothers, starting with Jayden, to show him that I was worthy enough. It's crazy, I know." Jade says. Megan shakes her head. "No, I understand." She started, "You just wanted to be acknowledged instead of being a replacement for your mother. You didn't want to be a caretaker. You wanted to be important like they were." Megan added. Jade slowly nodded. "Jealousy makes you do crazy things. If you can even call it that." She responded, "I can't change what I did. But I can try to prevent anyone else from getting hurt. I want to stop him. He got into my head and I almost lost my brothers because of it. And they're the most important things in my life." Jade tells. Megan nodded again. She didn't have any siblings. She couldn't imagine what it was like losing one. Especially if it was your doing. Jade's gaze turned back to her brothers. "And they want to help you. They care about you." Jade started, "Plus, they're very chaotic. They need someone to keep them in line." She chuckles. Megan sighed. "Yeah, they're pure chaos." She chuckled.

"So thank you for caring for them and getting them out." Jade thanked her again.  Megan smiles at her. "I kinda owed them after they... ya know, didn't kill me." She said.  "You know, I have been meaning to ask you, what did you do to change their minds?" Jade asks her. "What do you mean? They changed on their own." Megan answered. Jade chuckles again. "I hate to break it to you, but they wouldn't. Maybe Jack. And the slight possibility of Jerry too. But Jayden? He didn't change his mind by himself." She replied. Megan started to feel a bit awkward again. "But they did. All three of them. Jack got me out and when they found me they said they wouldn't kill me." Megan tells her. Jade shakes her head slightly. "Jayden likes you. He always has." She started, "But before this little show, he was loyal to my dad. They all look like him, but Jayden is just like him. And we just found out my dad did some horrible things to the woman he loves to this very day. I'm sorry to tell you this, but there's a big change Jayden was up to something when he decided to keep you alive back then." She tells him. Megan looks at the boy in shock. Jayden wouldn't do that, right? They had all shown their bloodthirst in one way or another. The three boys all had a darker side to them. They definitely inherited that from Bill. "So, he lied to me?" Megan questions. "Well, you obviously changed his mind. He has changed a lot since it all happened. You changed him for the better. So, don't worry about it." Jade tried to shrug it off. Megan nodded again but it didn't feel okay.

"Keep an eye on them," Hayden said. "I am," Lucas answered. They stopped the car as the two teens got out of theirs. "That's the boy that was with her. But who's that?" Lucas questions. Hayden narrows his eyes at Liz as she shuts the door on her side of the vehicle. "I haven't seen her before. She's new." Lucas added. "Do you think she's been with the triplets?" Hayden asks. "Well, she wasn't with the girl. Maybe they're just hanging out." Hayden shrugged. "They seem to be in a hurry," Lucas says. His tone sounds as if everything is suspicious. At this point, he doesn't trust anything or anyone. Hayden glances at him. "Maybe they're boyfriend and girlfriend." He hints. Hayden felt uncomfortable. If these two were in a relationship it wouldn't be right to keep spying on them. "Maybe we should leave." He said. "I am not going anywhere until they come back out," Lucas replies.
Meanwhile, Liz and Andrew made their way inside his house. "Henry? You here?" He called out to his brother as they moved around. Henry's head popped out from behind the wall in the kitchen. "Yeah, I'm here. What's up?" He replied. His eyes widened a little when Liz also came into view. "Hi, uh, I didn't know you and Martin hung out." He chuckled awkwardly. "Yeah, we do every now and then. Uh, we need to talk with you. It's about Eric." Andrew answered. Henry stood up from his seat. "Yeah, I've heard they finally found him. He's not doing very well." Henry replied. "Yeah, about that," Andrew said as he scratched the back of his neck, "We need to talk to you about that.  What happened to him wasn't a coincidence."