•Chapter 88• The Good Old Days

"Keep your eye on that car. Guy's been following us for a while." Ian said as he looked into the review mirror. Casper also looked through his mirror on the side of the car. They were probably just heading in the same direction. Ian had every right to be nervous. There were two boys in the backseat that the police and a murderer were looking for. Anyone could be a cop or one of Bill's little henchmen. "How much longer until we get there?" Casper asked. Ian checked his watch and kept his other hand on the steering wheel. "We're taking a bit of a d-tour. Few hours." They had to try everything to stay off the radar. All this was already so risky. They should have gone the other way but the boys didn't move until Ian agreed to pick up Jade. And they went together. Besides Jerry and Megan being in the other car, she didn't want to split up anymore. No longer separate. They did this together. Casper wouldn't have left without Jade either. Jayden and Jack were sitting in the backseat silently listening to the radio playing a nice tune. Casper wasn't sure what to say to them. The bonus were tired and on edge. There was a chance they would get caught. It didn't matter by whom. Maybe that's why they were so quiet, too scared to make a sound. Even here in the locked car, they were not safe. Anyone could see them. What if someone recognized them and called the police? Jayden and Jack tried to only think of one thing: Jade. She had to leave with them

"I'm not sure if this is going to work." Liz sighed. This case was impossible to defend. Everyone was against this family, there was no way they could convince a judge and a jury of their innocence. Jade rested her head on Liz's shoulder and rubbed her back in a soothing way. The girl was so confident about it earlier. "It's okay, Liz. We'll figure something out." Liz was tired. She'd spent so much time behind that screen already, looking for a solution or something they could use. She wanted to help her friends, but most of all her boyfriend. Jade knew how much she must miss him. Liz and Jerry were good together. She could only imagine how miserable her brother must be as well, being away from his girlfriend this long. "You should take a nap or something." 
"She can stay in my room. The sheets are fresh. It's a lot quieter there as well. Unless you don't want to, of course." Henry suggested a little shyly. Liz smiled at him. "I would like that. Thank you, Henry." She accepted his offer. She stood up and let him guide her to his bedroom. Henry came back soon enough, giving Liz her privacy. It was nice of him to offer her his room. Andrew praised his brother even. But Jade did not think too highly of him, still, even if they made up. If you could even call it that. They were okay. Jade promised she wouldn't kill him. Andrew sat down beside Jade. "I think we can all use a little rest. You especially. Any idea when they're coming to pick you up?" She shook her head in response. "Alright. I do think it's a good idea if you take a nap as well."

Jade frowned a bit at him. "I'm not a baby." Andrew tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and brushed his finger over the bridge of her nose. "No, but I don't know where they're taking you. I don't want you to pass out on your way." 
"Yeah, how does that work, exactly? If you don't mind me asking." Henry asked her. Jade looked at Andrew's brother. "We don't know exactly what it is. But it's a blood disease that makes me weaker and speeds up the aging process. If I'm too worked up about something, I'll lose blood and pass out sometimes. That's kind of like my body signaling me to take it easy. And I need little blood transfusions to slow it down and help me with my energy." Jade explained it to him. "But it can only be done with a special kind of blood. Blood that Selena and Meg both have. Certain substances in their blood fight the disease." Andrew added. Jade did not want to mention it at first. She felt terrible for Megan. "So that's why her brothers-"
"And Aunt Selena. Yes. It's the only thing that seemed to be working. From what I've heard, Bill has tried everything." Henry nodded along. Jade wrapped her arms around herself. She felt a bit embarrassed to tell Henry all that. "She doesn't want Meg to give up her blood, though, in any kind of way." Andrew assured his brother. This caused Henry to frown. "But won't you die, then?" He asked. Jade raised her chin and looked up at him. "Uh, probably. Eventually." She replied quietly. When Andrew looked at her again, he noticed a few hairs by her ear. It was as if the color was fading out of them. The strawberry blonde was turning into a dull grey color. Only a few hairs. It was barely noticeable. "I'll be fine. We can worry about that when this is all taken care of."

Louis glanced at Bill over the back of the couch. He tried to read his lips but could not figure out what he was saying to his henchmen. The TV was playing but he was not paying attention to it. The noise in the background was nice, though. This reminded him of the nights he used to come over, especially when the kids were younger. Louis wished he could go back to those days.
Bill pressed a finger against his lips. Louis took off his shoes as quietly as possible. He came into the living room to find a very small girl fast asleep beside her father on the couch. She looked so small. "How's she doing?" Louis whispered. Bill looked down at his daughter and gently brushed some hair out of her face. She looked adorable with her little head on the big pillow, her body under the thick duvet from her father's bedroom, and a thumb in her mouth. Her cheeks were still bright red. Louis stepped closer to her and felt her forehead. "First time she fell asleep in the last twenty-eight hours. Little one kept throwing up." Louis lifted her from the couch as he sat down beside his best friend. The little girl snuggled into her uncle's warm chest. "Did you wrap her in your duvet?" He chuckled quietly. Bill shrugged and leaned down to kiss his daughter's forehead. "She said she was cold. This thing is like a portable bed for the kids now that they're small. Louis smiled as he looked down at the sick little girl. "She does look adorable like this. I feel my heart melting." Louis remembered that day. He would give anything to have them be little kids again, even for one day.

Bill came back inside and plopped on the couch beside him. "Idiots. I have to explain things five times before they understand the first three words." He groaned in frustration. Louis could only laugh at the old man. "Think about your heart, old man. And your back." Bill tossed a pillow at his best friend. "Fuck off. I'm not the only old man here anymore." He laughed. Louis joined in on his laughter. This felt normal. That was a good thing.